• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Psst, where can a guy find some pot?

....anyway, was just wondering if you guys have any suggestions/tips on where you guys find pots for all your plants? Pay the $10+ per pot that I've been seeing at the local stores, say the secret passphrase to get the horticulturist fight club discount, or makeshift something else?

I've got about 40 plastic cups of dirt on my kitchen table, and I'm slowly upgrading them to 1/2L pop bottles, but I'm gonna give myself diabetes if I try to go that route for all of them in time. Also, I assume I'll have to do this all again very soon as a 2L container won't be enough room for too long.

I assume 2 liters is a standard carbonated beverage container on both sides of the border, but google tells me 2 liters = 0.528344105 US gallons. Sounds awkward to ask for in imperial units.

Old 'pot' – (pots)
(there’s nothing wrong with being old, just not hanging on to get old!) at that I am an expert – with a lot of luck ‘And a little help from my friends’ -
Listen to this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wG6Cgmgn5U
for me it’s better than ‘pot’, better than The Beatles original or even Cocker in 1968..

I just picked up six old 'pots' at my local Lowes garden center, they have an area set up to gather old plastic containers for recycling.
There was quite a collection waiting for the recycling truck pick up. I asked if I could 'instantly recycle' and was invited to 'help myself'.
I liberted two 7 gal. tree pots and some better quality 5 gal. pots. I don't think my chilies care if the pots are faded, but I think they will like 5 gal. better than 3 gal! I will be sure to return, to recycle my old smaller containers and check out the contents as the season progresses.

I found #1 black nursery pots at my local hydro shop for 70cents a container. I got some #2 nice strong quality containers for 1.15 a container. I think the best deal was the #2 stronger ones for 1.15 as they will last forever.

Also check with your local grocery store, big box store or even Fast Food burger joint -- in their Deli or Bakery Dept. and ask if they have any empty 2.5 or 5 gal buckets to spare --- they get a lot of things in them and just toss the empties (ie. Pickle slices, Dish soap for washing their equipment, Cake Frosting they use, Etc. Etc. ) and will usually give them to you if you ask or go through their dumpster.

You can go to your local grocery store bakery and ask them for 3 and 5 gal buckets. Stores in my area get their frosting and glazes delivered in them and give them away for the asking.

Man I type slow,JDFan beat me to it.

You can go to your local grocery store bakery and ask them for 3 and 5 gal buckets. Stores in my area get their frosting and glazes delivered in them and give them away for the asking.

Man I type slow,JDFan beat me to it.

I think I just got started Typing sooner - since my typing speed aint gonna beat anyone !! :)

I've just collected the 5 gallon buckets over the years. In addition to finding them free, it's nice when they are all the same size (diameter) so you can stack them to conserve space till you need them. However for a really healthy plant and hot weather they are a little undersized, you may end up needing to water more than once a day.

Once you have enough, don't stop collecting them because over time the UV (sun) will make them brittle and crack apart, so if you can, store your extras where there's not much sunlight.

i saw 8" pots in the 99 cent store for a dollar, i think eventually im probably gonna do whole 5 gal bucket thing like griff and dave suggested,

Dollar Stores have lots of them this time of year.

You can get cheapy plastic ones for 6 for $1 some places. Or clay for 3 for $1.

Beats paying 2 or 3 bucks per pot at garden shops and walmart.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GROW-BAGS-HYDROPONICS-CONTAINER-POT-POLY-PLASTIC-B-W?item=120716898340&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D125502577541564629

J
Ust bought some from this hydroponic place that sells online. I got mine for about 38 cents a piece. i got 25 3 gallon grow bags. I'm very impressed with the quality of the bags. there thick plastic. 3 days on shipping! 100% go for these guys again im going to buy 1500 this fall! I would give it a go! They have 1/2,1,2,3,5,7,10 gallon pots. and you can buy them in groups of 10.25,50,100!

this wednesday i'm going to http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=COGB1&eq=&Tp= to pick up 100 1gal bags... the match the online price at the store that day... WooT!...

but this is the first time using these... so i'm scared a bit... i do need some 5gal pots though... might try some 5g bags too... you can't beat that price...

oh, and i was buying 5g plastic pots at this swapmeet for 50 cents... but after i almost got them all, they now want a dollar each... i got mad...

Pots you say? for a moment i thought you said said pot?

Well here`s my effort from two years back.

Bud.jpg

And pots i got secondhand from my local nursery for diddly squat (few thousand of them). :party:

pots8.jpg

pots7.jpg

pots6.jpg

I go the tip from this forum, emailed my local nursery & they said "knock yourself out" so i did with my trailer. :P

pots4.jpg

pots3.jpg

Cant help you with the pot though, i smoked it. :high:

Mezo..

Like Mezo, I get mine second hand from my local nursery...but they sell them...I use the 5 gallon heavy duty nursery containers (not the cheap blow mold ones that last maybe one season) and they are $2 each...I have been using them for 4 years...

Check into fabric pots...look on the Home Depot site under root pouch or viagrow. Pretty cheap and better than buckets.

Old 'pot' – (pots)
(there’s nothing wrong with being old, just not hanging on to get old!) at that I am an expert – with a lot of luck ‘And a little help from my friends’ -
Listen to this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wG6Cgmgn5U
for me it’s better than ‘pot’, better than The Beatles original or even Cocker in 1968..

I just picked up six old 'pots' at my local Lowes garden center, they have an area set up to gather old plastic containers for recycling.
There was quite a collection waiting for the recycling truck pick up. I asked if I could 'instantly recycle' and was invited to 'help myself'.
I liberted two 7 gal. tree pots and some better quality 5 gal. pots. I don't think my chilies care if the pots are faded, but I think they will like 5 gal. better than 3 gal! I will be sure to return, to recycle my old smaller containers and check out the contents as the season progresses.

I didn't know they did that. I will have to check it out to see what I can find.

Back