• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens pubescent

Why are the pubescens so unpopular ?
I can only find the rocoto in seed catalogs yet when I look at the pepper database there are lots of varieties.
Most of them only have a generic name.
I have never tried pubescens but I did order seeds for rocoto.

Do they have any special taste/heat?

Tis a good question. I'm not entirely sure what they are/ look like (yes, I know I could google it), but had noted that the places I buy from don't seem to stock many/ any.

So... who can help?

pubescens ROCK!! They are one of best species of peppers in my opinion thick walled and HOT with a great taste. I will be growing at lest 15 varieties of pubes next year. If you need seeds Pm me I have lots of rocoto orange seeds to share

macmanmatty

After more research, I think I figured out why pubescens are not popular.

1) Pubescens do not cross whith frutescens, chinense ... making them a less diverse group
2) seeds are hard and must be removed before processing/eating the pepper. For commercial uses ( chili sauces ) the seeds need to be removed making it more expensive.
3) Difficult to grow

Most of them have a very nice apple round shape.
IMHO I think they are the best looking peppers. They look so yummy!

Pod pics

I don't know what this C. Pubescens is:
normal_notPI614001t.jpg

Besides having a little frost damage. But this is CAP 487 (red), and PI 614001(orange).
normal_CAP487PI614001.jpg

macmanmatty said:
pubescens ROCK!! They are one of best species of peppers in my opinion macmanmatty

I'll second that opinion. Not only are these plants more cold tolerent than the other domesticated species (ie Annuums, Frutescens, Chinense & Bacatuum's), the posa are fantastic and the flowers are second to none.

However I disagree with the comment the are more difficult to grow, thats not correct. They are much easy than some of the Chinense species I have tried.

I did a piece a few months back on the baccatuum species in the chileman 2006 journal. Check out this link and scroll down to 'Magical Manzano'

http://thechileman.blogspot.com/

ALso check out some of the pubescens flower images from the chileman database here:

http://www.thechileman.org/results....=Any&origin=Any&genus=Pubescens&submit=Search

The two best known Pubescens are rocoto and manzano.

The Rocoto is probably the most famous of the two more common Pubescens species, its history lies in the Andes region of Peru where it is also known as 'Manzano', meaning apple due the shape of the fruit. It is also called Locoto in Bolivia, Chilli Peron, Chilli Caballo and Chilli Ciruelo. The most distinguishing feature of these peppers are their black seeds. The peppers themselves are very pungent, approx 2in long and 1 1/2in wide and resemble miniture bell peppers and this variety matures in colour from green to yellow. Rocotos can be a slow to germinate, so be sure to keep the soil temperature above 75F, although once mature these plants are very resistant to low temperatures. Rocotos are at their best when eaten fresh and should be left on the plant until needed.

Manzano means 'apple' which describes the appearence of the fruits - like small apples. Like its cousin the Rocoto, this variety has unusual black seeds which are very hard (like apple pips) and should be removed before eating. Manzano comes generally in three types, Amarillo, Rojo (Red) and Canario (Yellow). Also known as 'Caballo' in Guatemala.

Ive been lucky enough to get my hands on seed for about 20 different Pubescens species. Im planning a grow out next year and will report back (as always)

Mark

Hi Mark

lovely they are!! Grew 14 vars of pubescens this year and still have a lot of ripe chiles on the plants outside even now.

They are pretty easy to grow, as you say, just a little long to mature and suffer when it gets really hot...even so they preduce quite well for me, even though these plants seemingly produce much better in subsequent years, if you can overwinter them.

I think the rocotos are just great fresh, but if you have access to a decent dehydrater (the thick walls of these pods being difficult to dry otherwise)they make some fanatastic powders.

Good luck with yours in 2007.

Guy

>>Rocotos can be a slow to germinate, so be sure to keep the soil temperature above 75F, although once mature these plants are very resistant to low temperatures.

Capsicum pubescens is really GREAT !
Great Heat and tastful HMMMM !
rocoto relleno ist one of my favorite way to consume them

I had this Year Around 150 C.pubescens Plants
30 vars
For 2007 I want to specialize in Capsicum pubescens and am still looking for more vars so if anybody has any Intersting vars please cantact me

Greetings From Germany

Hombre

habman said:
These peppers should do real well in canada. Maybe I'll be able to get a few extra weeks of growing :)

Hey habman,

Even in Canada the pubescens don't like the intense summer heat. Mine produced flowers/fruit only in late spring and then again in late fall during cooler periods. These plants can get really tall and branchy too, not so good for indoor growing.
Can somebody recomend a good variety for taste. The ones I grew lacked in taste and only seemed to have heat in the bottom half of the peppers?? and they came from a very unreliable source. Beautiful flowers though.

Wow... I just got some Manzanoamarillo and Orange Rocoto seeds in a package form a Secret Santa on one of the Z car websites I hang out on. I'm looking forward to getting these puppies started.

I also got something called Limon. From what I understand, it's a yellow hab.

Just thinking about my crop this year. Has anyone ever sauced these capsicum pubescens before?

I think I'm going to get some starter cups going this weekend so they'll be ready for next month.

ooooooo...I'm gunna make lots of sauce this year!!!!

Pubescens are extremely popular in the mercado in Mexico, primarily the manzano, the yellow round one at the bottom of the photo....

mex2.jpg

Back