food Puerco "Lake Constance" - kinda Yucatanish style

As written in "Hot Talk" I decided yesterday to cook Puerco pibil. But then I was able to buy all ingredients but one! I couldn't get hold of annatto-seeds! I decided to cook the dish anyway. But since annatto misses I don't call it puerco pibil. I ordered 500g of annatto seeds in the web and will follow the original recipe later, maybe next weekend.
In spite of my failure I mixed a marinade. I used 2 tsps. of cumin seeds, 1 Tbsp. of black peppercorns, 9 allspice berries and ½ tsp. whole cloves, powdered them in the Magic Bullet. Cos' there was only one other chilihead in the crowd I replaced the two habanero chiles with one tsp. of lemon drop powder. I mixed 1 cup of orange juice, half a cup of lemon juice, half a cup of white vinegar and about 60 ml of tequila. The next step was to blend the powder with 2 Tbsps. of salt and 8 cloves of garlic. I mixed all that to a nice acidic liquid. I cut seven pounds of pork neck into pieces of 2 by 2 inches and put them in a bowl with the marinade. The meat marinaded overnight.

IMG_0049.jpg

Today I put the meat into a coated aluminium pan, filled it up with the marinade and sealed it with aluminium foil. Into the oven the pan went with 165°C for four hours.

IMG_0107.jpg

Next step was to cut garlic and onions and to fry them in a casserole. I deglazed with orange juice and tequila. Six cans of kidney beans went into the casserole while I cooked rice on another cooking field. When both were done I mixed the beans and the rice and let it steep.

IMG_0097.jpg

Now here come the money shots:

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

The meat came out fork tender and absolutely tasty! Spicy, a bit sour, a surprising experience. For me it could have been a lot hotter. But the crowd was enthusiastic.

Looks damn good, very tasty- wouldn't sweat the annatto/achiote- I guess it has a slight taste, mostly coloring to me. Especially when up against spice.

I'll give this a try, always lookin for different ways to do hunks of pork here!

Nice. You could really use that annatto to turn that bland looking dish into a very colorful dish. It also has a suble flavor that it probaly needs. Some of the best chicken fajitas I've had were achiote (annatto) marinated chicken. Nice bright orangish-yellow and great flavor.

Not big into pork here however that could turn the tide. Looks yummo.
I would leave out the beans :)

Novacastrian said:

Could? Hopefully, otherwise w/o the beans too, you're just eatin' rice :P

I'd eat it all! As in ALL of it- no sharing...

Novacastrian said:
Whaaaat? Hmmm. Have you ever had spare ribs or pulled pork? Or BACON? WTF! RESET YO' METER!

Yeah i have had all those and as a matter fact the rev cooked up some awesome ribs the other night. I just mostly prefer beef and lamb.

Novacastrian said:
Yeah i have had all those and as a matter fact the rev cooked up some awesome ribs the other night. I just mostly prefer beef and lamb.

Aussies eat what they grow. What about roo, snake and wombat? :lol:

Wombat pibil? I'm sure Robert Rodriguez would send Agent Sands to shoot you! Just to keep the balance...

Back