• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Puerto Rican Chiles

My wifes father who lives part time in Puerto Rico asked me if I wanted any seeds or pods when he goes on next trip, which is in like 4 days, I told him to grab some red squash chiles and a variety of whatever else he can find and to look for PI 439478's (sent him a pic cause Im sure thats not what they call down there) are there any interesting chiles from Puerto Rico that anyone knows of that I should be asking him to look for?

Thanks

-Rich

Ají Caballero
This inch-long Caribbean pepper is often sold commercially in the United States under the name Puerto Rican jelly bean, and it packs a mighty heat. Puerto Ricans pickle it in vinegar, garlic, and other ingredients to make a hot sauce called pique, which, like Tabasco, is often brought to the table to garnish foods. (C. annuum.)

Aji Camba
Peruvian, popular in PR.

ROCOTILLO - Im interested in this seed as well soooooo ... if you get any .....
http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=rocotillo&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

ROCOTILLO

Species: Baccatum Origin: Puerto Rico Heat: Medium
Rocotillo exists both as a baccatum and chinense.
26407.jpg

ROCOTILLO - Im interested in this seed as well soooooo ... if you get any .....
http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=rocotillo&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

ROCOTILLO

Species: Baccatum Origin: Puerto Rico Heat: Medium
Rocotillo exists both as a baccatum and chinense.
26407.jpg

cool man, I will definatley have him look for some, and of course you can have some seeds if I get 'em :)

I grew the rocotillo chinense for a few years. I believe its a bit mild for a chinense, in both heat and flavor, and not super big plants but still quite good

thats weird Potawie unless the site is mixed up - the Baccatum is said to be the mild one - or "medium heat" while the Chinense should be hot ?? Were they a thick(er) walled pod like a rocoto?

hmm... i grew up in puerto rico... finding really spicy food was nearly impossible.

right now, you're just gonna find a lot of supermarket peppers. it's really sad side-effect of globalized food markets.. a lot of people don't bother keeping seeds from the island's heirlooms when they can just save seeds from supermarket thais, and sow enough of them to offset the 25% germ rates from unripe pods.

chile de arbol were pretty common though, but they were only used to spice up vinegar which was then added in small quantities to food while cooking (unless you were me, and added it to everything after cooking just to get a kick in).

thats weird Potawie unless the site is mixed up - the Baccatum is said to be the mild one - or "medium heat" while the Chinense should be hot ?? Were they a thick(er) walled pod like a rocoto?
2007 Rocotillo chinense
16717156496b07b5414dqj9.jpg

Alien pods
17780261168e1c8c0b60so9.jpg

Mine were also very similar to John F's chinense version in this old gardenweb thread. Pods were hot, but milder than most chinenses and now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I liked the flavor too but no more seeds
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg050903203736.html

Thanks for the pic Potawie - its the thicker flesh of the rocoto and heat (not nuclear but decent) that I liked. These look similar -- I'll try and find some these/those seeds for next season

Back