Pull off new blossoms to quicken ripening of existing pods?

I am on the border of zone 7b/8a in far north Texas. Our first frost will likely come in the next 3 weeks. I have many plants that are loaded up with green peppers, but are also putting out tons of new blossoms.  Does pulling off the new blossoms help significantly in helping direct the plants energy into ripening the existing pods? Any other suggestions in speeding up the ripening process for the existing green pods would be appreciated.

It seems like a sensible move to me.  There is no reason to allow those blooms to go forward so there is really nothing to lose I think.  Whether it redirects energy or not, nothing is lost as three weeks is not enough time for those blooms to pod and mature.  Assuming you can't move the plants in. Quantity?  Dig up, transplant at the last minute, too many plants?  Maybe dig up some and try to protect others with plastic through the first frost threat to gain more time.

Good luck, hopefully some other north Texas folks will chime in.

Mike

Hell I'd try it. I've never really thought about it but it seems to make sense to me....I'm definitely no botanist either though. Like Mike already said, you got nothing to lose really

Pulling off new blossoms will do nothing to speed up ripening of existing peppers.  It will leave the plant more energy for existing smaller peppers to grow to a larger size, but once they reach their final size it is existing enzymes in the pod not finite plant energy that cause them to ripen.  Even so, more energy for existing smaller peppers to grow is still a good thing!

If you want to increase ripening rate, put them in an uncoated paper sack with some mostly ripe fruit, as the fruit outgassing of ethylene gas will speed that up, you want to trap the gas somewhat but not the water vapor they give off as they sit.

Also keep them warmer, nearer to room temperature than to freezing.  Fruits high in ethylene production include apples, pears, passionfruit, apricot, nectarine, peach mango, avocado, banana, cantaloupe, etc., although others like tomatoes also give some off.  Don't pack them too densely in the sack or they may mold faster.  1 to 2 layers deep is better than a little sack stuffed with a lot.

Back