food Pull the Rip Cord Jerk Wings

Since the Vancouver Canucks are playing tonight, I want something fairly quick to make. Firery finger foods like wings are always a favorite with frosted malted beverages so I figured that it's time to whip up a batch of Jerk Wings. Normally I would BBQ these babies, but as you can see in the pic below, we still have a few feet of snow. I don't mind Q'ing in the winter, but we've also got wind gusts of 26 km/h (16 mph) that just suck the heat out of the grill and results in longer, uneven cooking. The snow blower is in the way as well (it's under the blue tarp).

pulltheripcordjerkwings.jpg

Anyways, enough of this chatter! To the recipe! This recipe makes about a cup of dry rub. I had an empty spice jar available so the rub is already prepared. If you want it hotter, add more ground pepper. You could also add your favorite hot sauce. I don't because I'm happy with the heat and flavor.

--------------

1 Case of Frosty Styled Malted Beverines (to taste)

2 TBSP (30 ml) ground coriander

2 TBSP (30 ml) ground ginger

2 TBSP (30 ml) lightly packed brown sugar

1 TBSP (15 ml) onion powder

1 TBSP (15 ml) garlic powder

1 TBSP (15 ml) salt

2 tsp (10 ml) ground Habinaro or cayenne powder (I haven't graduated to Habinaro powder yet :scared:) **This recipe needs to be kicked up quite a bit. Double the amount of cayenne or step up to habinaro**

2 tsp. (10 ml) finely ground black pepper

1 tsp. (5 ml) dried thyme leaves

1 tsp. (5 ml) ground cinnamon

1 tsp. (5 ml) ground allspice

1/2 tsp. (5 ml) ground cloves

Oil for brushing

Fresh cilantro and sliced lime for garnish (optional)

--------------------

1. Grab a frosted style malted beverine. Drink. Grab another frosted style malted beverine.

2. Combine all ingredients for the rub in a bowl and mix.

3. Rinse and pat dry the wings. Massage the rub into the wings, all over and quite aggressively so you tear the little micro pockets of flavor into the flesh. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours. Drink 3-4 frosty styled malted beverines while waiting.

4. Preheat grill** to medium 350*F (176*C). Oil grill.

5. Place wings on grill and cook approximately 10 minutes or until caramelized and golden brown on one side. Be sure to have a frosted styled malty beverine in hand at all times while grilling. If the neighbor sees you without one while doing so, he has every right to call you "Nancy" in a loud booming voice.

6. Flip and continue to cook a further 10-15 minutes or until fully cooked and golden brown.

7. Remove from grill, garnish with cilantro and lime, grab another beer. Eat, drink and be merry!

GO CANUCKS GO!

-------------

** I'm cooking the wings in a counter top convection oven. I'd love to BBQ them, but won't be able to for some time. If you are planning on cooking them in a regular oven increase the time to about 45 minutes at the same temp.

Prepped and ready for cooking.

pulltheripcordjerkwings002.jpg

Cooked with a side of stuffed Anaheim pepper. The stuffing consists of Kraft three cheese pizza mix, cottage cheese, bacon, and 3 crushed fried garlic cloves.

pulltheripcordjerkwings005.jpg

----------------------

Neil

Blister, you only make mention of a "frosted malt beverage" one time for the entire recipe. You must search the THP Sacred Scrolls for enlightenment. You must realize you have signed onto a drinking forum with a pepper problem.

Cheers, TB.

When I was reading it, I was thinking, "Hes missing a frothy beverage around about #4..and again at #6..and again at #8

See we will help you adjust your recipes! (and at no charge!)

Due to popular demand, I've added more frosty styled malty beverines. And man did the weather every put the kyebosh on any idea of grilling. Not only was it windy, we got rain, then hail kindly followed by a light dusting of snow.

So while I was cowering indoors, I was able to locate the BBQ that every man needs. No longer will we have to live in fear about the size or calibre of another mans BBQ! Well that is if you don't have one of these babies!

ultimatebbq.jpg

Neil

Well, it's been awhile since I've had these and I've got to say, I was a little disappointed with them. I've been eating a lot of spicy indian food in between and I'm also a little embarrassed to say that these wings used to be "hot" :oops:. I guess we've all got to start somewhere. I'm going to have to update the recipe and double the cayenne. I still don't think I can handle ground habinaro, but at the same time, I haven't found it locally just yet either. Updated pics to follow.

Neil

P.S. on a positive note, the Canucks beat the Dallas Stars tonight and I drank a bunch of beer in the meantime :cool:

I've deep fried them a few times if that's what you mean. I can't seem to figure out how to get the 'hot' to stay on them though. I usually have to put hot sauce on them after the fact.

Back