• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pure breds Verses High breds

Hey All !
Has anyone noticed that hybreds seem to have more trouble with bugs etc: Than pure breds..As I posted in another (string forum) It seems the pure breds are more stable and stronger to resist bugs , parasites or what have you..
Just my thoughts Dave..

Just one more comment
I went in the woods yesterday..and I am being ate up with chiggers (BIG TIME) anyone from the south should have pitty on me ...LOL
I guess I am not a pure bred :-)

I agree with this, some people on here I'm sure don't. I'm a fan of pure strains and try to keep it that way. Don't get me wrong, there are some peppers I like that are crosses and hybrids and they are great but I prefer pure strains over them.

I haven't noticed that. The few hybrids I've grown all grew like champs, very quickly and with very few problems. I did have a BER problem with a Holey Moley my first year, but that probably had more to do with user error. It was in MG and never given any calcium. Then again, that was the only pepper the first year (or ever) that I've had with BER. The plant was huge for being in a 5 gallon bucket and very productive though, but the pods did not taste good.

IMO the wild peppers have less trouble with everything...bugs, heat, cold, drought, too much rain, disease, wind, lack of nutrients, you name it. Chiltepin, cumari, piri piri, etc. are the toughest and easiest plants to grow imo. Nothing fazes them.

Hey Avon
I mean (YES) Hybreds for the most part were made to produce higher and larger yields etc: So as far as growing the hybred they do grow well..just wondering about there resistant to bugs and disease..

Many hybrids are produced to be resistant to common diseases and nasties, and to be extra productive. All the hybrids I grow are doing very well, except for a few runts from my own crosses. Of course its nice to have true breeding/ stable varieties but basically every chile we know was a hybrid at one point, and new chiles are developed through hybridizing and selective breeding
Hybrids are not always bred for the extra production, its natural heterosis or hybrid vigour that comes from a good f1 cross

I have not noticed too much difference except that a few OP's I've grown are WAY more susceptible to BLS than any hybrid and some other OP's I've grown. I find hornworms and aphids on them all. I have noticed that the wild/semi-wild variety I have (Mexican Bird Pepper C. frutescens) is extremely tolerant to disease (BLS), drought, and (too much)heavy rain just like AB mentioned. I've only grown a couple (Super Chile, Carmen Sweet) of hybrids though, so I don't have a good sample size to come to any real conclusion.

Nature actually designed all living things so that genetic diversity is a good thing. we're hybrids! using the same gene pool again and again usually results in a weaker specimen that might not survive.

(Also note that there is some confusion here on THP as to what a hybrid IS. I say a hybrid is a cross between species, others say a hybrid is a cross between cultivars even if they are of the same species. According to them my mother has a hybrid dog! :) )

(Also note that there is some confusion here on THP as to what a hybrid IS. I say a hybrid is a cross between species, others say a hybrid is a cross between cultivars even if they are of the same species. According to them my mother has a hybrid dog! :) )
There's only one species of domesticated dogs. of course you can cross different breeds and pure bred are far more valued.

We're hybreds ?
Wow ...This may end up to be the most interesting post ever He He ! But I do agree we are hybreds..Dave

I have
A 2 yr 0ld yellow Bhutt...almost everything I got has been over run with aphids But not one single thing has jumped on this plant.. and we know it is a mutant ..But still ..I also grow tabasco peppers and have never had problem with nothing nobugs NOTHING..Whats the deal ?

From a taxonomic perspective, hybrid refers to offspring resulting from the interbreeding between two animals or plants of different taxa.[2]

1. Hybrids between different subspecies within a species (such as between the Bengal tiger and Siberian tiger) are known as intra-specific hybrids. Hybrids between different species within the same genus (such as between lions and tigers) are sometimes known as interspecific hybrids or crosses. Hybrids between different genera (such as between sheep and goats) are known as intergeneric hybrids. Extremely rare interfamilial hybrids have been known to occur (such as the guineafowl hybrids).[3] No interordinal (between different orders) animal hybrids are known.
2. The second type of hybrid consists of crosses between populations, breeds or cultivars within a single species. This meaning is often used in plant and animal breeding, where hybrids are commonly produced and selected because they have desirable characteristics not found or inconsistently present in the parent individuals or populations. This flow of genetic material between populations or races is often called hybridization.

From wikipedia.

So according to the second definition, a cross between two cultivars of the same species can be considered a hybrid.

Back