• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Pure strains, crosses, preservation!?

Hey all. Well this is just a thought I've had for quite some time. Is there potentially a threat to the original strains from which all these different hybrids come from? Given that there's more "strains" being "produced" every day it seems could this possibly threaten the survival of our beloved landraces varieties such as the Scorpions, 7pots, Bhuts, Nagas, Fatalis, etc. ?
Its apparent that more and more people are more interested in producing the next big hybrid as opposed to fully understanding or perfecting what is already there. Thankfully there's some purists out there that stick to the tride and true.

Thats hard to say if they are endangered or not,  I doubt that the main sources would be hurt,  say in Trinidad or Brazil just to name a couple of places, I would be more worried the wild little species being lost do to crossing or loss of habitat. 
Most of the hybridizing that is going on would hardly cause any major problems as it is just being done by a small group of people some here in the states which would hardly effect the land races,  or that is what I believe as creating hybrids has been going on for a very long time and may have led to some of the better known cultivars. 
As I'm not a expert on this subject, so all of this is just conjecture and hopefully some of the real experts will pipe in, most people try not to cross what they have so that they will stay pure, so that they can trade with other people who are looking for certain cultivars. 

I doubt it. But when you really think about it, all those 'main strains' came about the same way the hybrids come about, animals(insects/humans) messing with pollen.

No one should be worrying about all the supers and nonsense the really endangered species are the wild capsicum very few actually grow wilds for what they truly are... truly unique species with a lot of genetic information that needs to be preserved.

Very true with organizations like CARDI these strains should be pretty well kept. Yet they practice breeding for specific traits that they want which could potentially do away with certain traits after awhile. Theoretically speaking.

its not about crossing them its about preserving them. I don't believe they should be focusing on crossing I think they should be preserving them and working on repopulating them in the wild.

Seriously. Such an awesome beneficial plant the capsicum is. Makes me get a tear in the eye when I really think about it. lol (sadly im not kidding) yup...I'm a tree hugger. lol Well in this case pepper hugger.lol
But on another note. If I understand correctly weren't 7pots and scorps mostly grown by local villagers in Trinidad & Tobago and not really commercially produced?

Nope, the landraces will be fine. It's only a handful of people. It's interesting, the handful of people I know who like to work on hybrids also grow wilds, including myself. I think hybrids, pure strains, and wilds are great. I choose to focus mostly on hybrids. I will be keeping a few strains pure, creating more hybrids, and keeping wilds preserved. Pure strains and wilds are very important to those of us who create hybrids.

Edit:

It doesn't appear to me that the landraces from Trinidad and India were all that stable. I could be wrong though.

I agree that we should work in preserving the wild undomesticated species such as C. tovarii or C. flexuosum and others that are on the brink Hopefully various organizations will do what is nessary to preserve and repopulating the different wild species.
The problem is that the wild species has little to no commerial value other than uses in breeding programs, so how do you go about getting people interested in something that will not bring in money, its almost a catch 22 and the sad thing is a lot of undiscovered species that might yet be found will surely go to the wayside.

Nightshade said:
its not about crossing them its about preserving them. I don't believe they should be focusing on crossing I think they should be preserving them and working on repopulating them in the wild.
That would break the balance, some species invade others, some survive and some will cross it all depends on nature. Even if you repopulate it will still be hard to control the population and whatever might happen in the wild.

It's not like nurturing endangered species to then release to the wild and expect them to survive and reproduce. There's just too many factors that come in to play to be able to control anything in the wild.

What I do think is preserve the wilds the best you can because they're just unique and one a kind in the world opposed to 7 pots, Nagas, and other species. They're the ones who lived before humans populated the earth and the ones that were around in the times of our ancestors and the ones that are still here and that will survive without any human assistance in the future.

-Walt

there are groups working to preserve them but it is a small effort on a big issue. im hoping to one day be able to say I have made a contribution to the pepper community and help preserve a wild species with my efforts. im trying to as we speak.

Vegas_Chili said:
That would break the balance, some species invade others, some survive and some will cross it all depends on nature. Even if you repopulate it will still be hard to control the population and whatever might happen in the wild.

It's not like nurturing endangered species to then release to the wild and expect them to survive and reproduce. There's just too many factors that come in to play to be able to control anything in the wild.

What I do think is preserve the wilds the best you can because they're just unique and one a kind in the world opposed to 7 pots, Nagas, and other species. They're the ones who lived before humans populated the earth and the ones that were around in the times of our ancestors and the ones that are still here and that will survive without any human assistance in the future.

-Walt
also it is not that we can nurture them but there are ways of stopping it such stopping loss of habitat which can cause a dip in bird population or pollinators. I understand wilds have lived without human assistance for centuries but they lived without human interference such as destruction of forests in south America. just some things to think about.  I appreciate wilds the same as some appreciate endangered animals.

Yeah I don't understand the logic behind these people destroying the wild plainly to make a fortune "NOW". That's greed and selfishness at its worst. That type of work needs to be made illegal. They make their money w/o a care for the future and then the rest of humanity and the world has to suffer once they're gone. It's just wrong.

Nightshade said:
there are groups working to preserve them but it is a small effort on a big issue. im hoping to one day be able to say I have made a contribution to the pepper community and help preserve a wild species with my efforts. im trying to as we speak.

also it is not that we can nurture them but there are ways of stopping it such stopping loss of habitat which can cause a dip in bird population or pollinators. I understand wilds have lived without human assistance for centuries but they lived without human interference such as destruction of forests in south America. just some things to think about.  I appreciate wilds the same as some appreciate endangered animals.
Yes sir, completely agree.

Helping them keep their habitat is the best you can do and to aid population, nature will do the rest. But without protecting their habitat there's a less chance to save them if they have nowhere to grow.

-Walt

Back