• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Purple bhut jolokia?

Are these purple ghost chiles?

Attachments

• 1D0A7FCA-CBFF-4459-A28C-37E3339132B1.jpeg
    1D0A7FCA-CBFF-4459-A28C-37E3339132B1.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 144
Solution
@catherinew

I think they may well be. I grew it about ten years ago and they do look similar, although yours is a much nicer specimen! Now, I did experience color change to red, and had various shades on the plant at the same time. Yours may have a ways to go to ripeness, if they're the same variety. Have you tried them yet?

Bhut Purple - plant.JPG

Bhut Purple 2.JPG

Bhut Purple.JPG
@catherinew

I think they may well be. I grew it about ten years ago and they do look similar, although yours is a much nicer specimen! Now, I did experience color change to red, and had various shades on the plant at the same time. Yours may have a ways to go to ripeness, if they're the same variety. Have you tried them yet?

Bhut Purple - plant.JPG

Bhut Purple 2.JPG

Bhut Purple.JPG

Solution
Thanks, Downriver. I grew one plant last year and they took forever to ripen to red. Right now the heat is getting there, but nothing like the heat when ripe. It took until close to Thanksgiving last year to find a ripe pod. Luckily they're growing in pots so I can bring them to a small enclosed area to ripen as we'll have a frost sooner than later.

Bhuts can certainly take their time. I started mine in January and don't think I got more than a couple decent pods until July or even August. If you want to try, there is also bih jolokia, the smaller podded cousin. I've really enjoyed it. Fruits are about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of regular bhut, but it gets absolutely loaded with pods in comparison, and they ripen sooo much quicker. I've eaten a few, they definitely got the ghost vibe and are plenty hot for just about anyone who's not a 100% capsicum extremist, lol.

Trying to bud at ~2.5 mo old

20210329_122448.jpg

Late June ~6 mo old

20210728_081137.jpg

Really nice plant you got there though! Foliage looks super dense and healthy.

Last edited:
Back