• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Purple Bhut pods

This plant has been producing normal colored pods all season. Recently the immature pods are purple colored but only on the south facing side of the pods. Doubt if I'll get to see what happens as they ripen as frost is likely here soon. Anyone seen this before? I'm guessing either caused by cooler weather or a nutrient def.

DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0021.jpg

Some of mine had striations of that color on the tops. I chalked it up to sun scalding.

I went out and looked at them again. I guess sun scald makes the most sense as only the south face of the pods are affected and the ones with the most exposure do have more of the purple coloring. Earlier in the season there were lots of pods that got sunburnt and never displayed the purple coloring.
One of them things that just made me say hmmmm.

Its normal. Not sunscald as that turns the spot white and ruins the pod. It is more of a suntan. The plants natural reaction to the sun similar to the human body darkening due to sun exposure. It will ripen to the normal color.

jacob

Its normal. Not sunscald as that turns the spot white and ruins the pod. It is more of a suntan. The plants natural reaction to the sun similar to the human body darkening due to sun exposure. It will ripen to the normal color.

jacob

x2 :)

Thanks for straightening that out for me. :cool: I cut into one of the pods and the color is just on the skin.
T

Back