• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Purple/Black Scorpion Cardi

Early on in their life I posted pics of my then red stemmed Yellow Scorpion Cardi seedlings. I have kept track of them and now one is starting to set pods. The stems have turned dark purple. They are missing nothing food wise, get the same treatment as all the other plants but continue to be different. The seeds were from a very reliable source, were not mixed up and neither were the seedlings.
IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg

This one shows how dark the stems are
IMG_1924.jpg

This pod is on the same plant
IMG_1926.jpg

and this one
IMG_1931.jpg

and this one and there are a few more and heaps of flowers
IMG_1933.jpg

Here is the leaves at the top of the plant
IMG_1943.jpg

and another shot wider out
IMG_1945.jpg

And a close up of some buds showing the color of the stems even more clearly
IMG_1946.jpg

Here is the other plant that had a red stem, it has been in a much smaller pot so is nowhere as big.
IMG_1949.jpg

and again.
IMG_1950.jpg

Random Mutation? Isn't that how the Chocolate Bhut came about? Just a brown pod out of a bunch of reds, right? Well, it looks like you might have an interesting project ahead of you.

Can temperatures cause this "darkening" of the pods??? I had some Jalapenos last year do something similar..... Biker Billy and Jalap M.... I don't have pics, but it seemed like the low temps early in the season may have contributed the the purpling or blackening. Later in the season, they grew a normal green then turned red.... It seemed to be more than just a "sunburn" because it was all the way around the pod, not just where the sun hit?????

Anyhow, I can't wait to see the pods mature a bit!!!

Looking Great Sandgroper!

Happy Growing!!!

Can temperatures cause this "darkening" of the pods??? I had some Jalapenos last year do something similar..... Biker Billy and Jalap M.... I don't have pics, but it seemed like the low temps early in the season may have contributed the the purpling or blackening. Later in the season, they grew a normal green then turned red.... It seemed to be more than just a "sunburn" because it was all the way around the pod, not just where the sun hit?????

Anyhow, I can't wait to see the pods mature a bit!!!

Looking Great Sandgroper!

Happy Growing!!!

Thanks, but i dont think temp has anything to do with these ones as they have had the same everything as their siblings and the siblings are green and hopefully turning yellow.

Random Mutation? Isn't that how the Chocolate Bhut came about? Just a brown pod out of a bunch of reds, right? Well, it looks like you might have an interesting project ahead of you.
If and when its stable thats just what I will call it, Random Mhut.

Interesting it is, young skywalker.

ah yes, the mad scientist is alive and well in y'all also

i think the double pod is way cool

the mexico native guy indicated to me the
purpling (jalapeño) chiles was the hottest muthas

That looks very interesting, i love the name that you are going to choose for it too. :D

Can you update this thread with pics say every week? It would be cool to see the colour change in the pods if there is any more to come.

Hope its nice and hot.

Was the seed source me again? :)

Chris
Yes it was and they were all kept separate so its going to be interesting to see what becomes of them. The other Scorp Cardis are pumping along fine as is all the others you sent me. I really love these mutants and get excited when they appear,
Marc

That looks very interesting, i love the name that you are going to choose for it too. :D

Can you update this thread with pics say every week? It would be cool to see the colour change in the pods if there is any more to come.
I will post updates every week just for you Scott.

I didnt see the doublepod until I looked at the photos. The powers of magnification and the eyes dimming with age.

Its more likely an unintentional cross rather than a mutation but it should be an interesting one. Keep us updated

Also looking forward to the progress. Will be subscribig to this thread. Me likey. Probably crossed with a purple type chili. And of course the sun.

Back