• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Purple flowers

Hi, my wife bought these at our local china town, and was told they were edible. They look ornamental to me but I know zip as far as pepper id goes and wanted to make sure before trying them out. The pods are an inch long, give or take. Any help will be much appreciated. Regards!

ID1_zps2085e0c4.jpg

ID2_zpsbe762503.jpg

ID3_zpsf94fd234.jpg

id4_zpsf7e84ac9.jpg

id5_zpsa699a7db.jpg

"Ornamental" is very subjective. As a very general rule of thumb, chiles labelled as "ornamental" are labelled as such because they don't taste good to most humans. However, any number of people will tell you that's not entirely true, and that they like certain chiles labelled as "ornamental." I'd recommend giving one a try, and then make up your own mind about them. Nice colors there, by the way!

Numex Twilight has white flowers I believe...maybe a Numex Centennial. Definitely an annuum. Looks cool for sure. As far as the edible or not, all "ornamentals" are edible you just have to be careful if they are labeled "not edible" its usually due to them using a systemic pesticide or a pesticide not fit for food crops on them. I repot my store bought ornamentals and give them a couple months before I eat any pods off them.

My guess is C.Annumm, omnicolour ... I have one growing, looks exactly the same although purple on flowers, pods not quite so prevalent or short.. Very similar. I use them in cooking for heat.
You can eat any chilli some just cater better for the palate.

They look quite similar to the sangria pepper. Anyone knows if that one has purple flowers?
Nope...white flowers.

Really leaning toward explosive ember. Hard to tell from just a few pics. Depending on light source they have darker or lighter foliage. Yours seem a little greener than most, but not all. and if you look at the stems and growth structure they're very similar. There are hundreds of ornamental Thai type chiles...one thing is certain it's perdy!

I couldn't tell you for sure as most people have already answered my thoughts, I find most purple peppers are bitter and just don't taste very good, hince the word "ornamental" they won't make you sick or anything I would check to see if they have been spraid with anything and I would wash the pods good anyway. It is a nice plant none the less.

Back