• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Purple Peruvian x Serrano accidental cross by bees

A friend grew Purple Peruvians and Serranos two years ago and the bees went to work and made a beautiful cross .. we both planted Serranos last year and the end result was a serrano with a purple stalk and leaves with pods about half the size of a Serrano and half purple and half green before turning red.  Seeds from last year have resulted in a purple and green striped stalk and growth is like a purple peruvian .. started this plant in an Aerogarden and can not wait to see what the pods will look like this year..

Attachments

• pps1.jpg
    pps1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 63
  • pps2.jpg
    pps2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 61
  • pps3.jpg
    pps3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 58
  • pps4.jpg
    pps4.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 58
  • pps5.jpg
    pps5.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 61
  • pps6.jpg
    pps6.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 61
Really nice looking plant you have there.. Looking forward to seeing the resulting pods.. Are you saying this is an F2 plant ??

Thanks.. yea it is an F2.. I started what I thought was a Serrano last year and noticed the was some purple on the stem and the pods were half purple and half green before turning red. The pods were about half the size of a normal Serrano but had heat and fruitiness like a Purple Peruvian. This plant was started with seeds from last year and was really surprised to see the striped stem this year. Can't wait to see what the pods are going to do. May try to clone it since I started it on an Aerogarden

6/16/2015 Update

6-16-2015 Update

Purple Peruvian x Serrano on left and Jamaican Red Habanero on the right .. the Jamaican Red seeds came from pods I picked off a plant, at a Coffee Farm, in Winefield, Jamaica in early April

Attachments

• flower.jpg
    flower.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 53
  • flower2.jpg
    flower2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 47
  • purpleperuserrano.jpg
    purpleperuserrano.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 49
Back