• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Purple roots on chili plants

This topic is something i could never imagine with pepper plants, even the most darker annum/chinnese has bright white colour,
Ive kept 2 phenos of PDN from last year selecction, pure black and other pinky peach pods, both from cuttings took last winter,
now while rooting this year peppers, 1 of the cuttings of the PDN pure black pods is growing purple roots, most vigour and rooting speed of this pdn cuttings trail
i was wondering if anyone have seen this on any other varieties, or if this could be a bacterial coloration.
chards beets some beans most legumes could be purp roots or colored by nitrogen fixing bacterias, but on peppers ive only read about it on a GMO pepper from 90's china laboratory
so if this particular pdn purple cut has bacterial activity on it has to be ambiental or soil developed as im rooting it in plain water

PD: this particular branch grew at the soil area with almost no light so was pure green till I've bring it under the light and kept it as rare branch wouldn't expect this coloration

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_210112_575.jpg
    IMG_20200926_210112_575.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20200926_210201_671.jpg
    IMG_20200926_210201_671.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 115
BlackFatalii said:
Yes, I have seen that before with PDN, and on some other varieties as well. It is just a little anthocyanin in the roots; I wouldn't worry about it.
Wow thank you so much for the info BlackFatalii, second year with PDN and never saw this even on some darker PDN hybrids Jeje
I was hoping was beneficial bacteria as this cutting is growing super vigorous compared to the other cuttings and PDN phenos

ahayastani said:
I have seen the same phenomenon with Pimenta Beringela, a chinense with purple leaves from Brazil. You can see photos in my GLOG.
Yeaah ahayastani I've never seen pimenta beringela before looks like a f**ing eggplant jeje
Nice to see there's more plants that produces anthocyanins on their rootstock urs are hella purple bro did u notice any coloring difference from purple root plants compared with white root plants??
Awsome glog indeed mate!

Fermenting Spanishtan said:
Yeaah ahayastani I've never seen pimenta beringela before looks like a f**ing eggplant jeje
Nice to see there's more plants that produces anthocyanins on their rootstock urs are hella purple bro did u notice any coloring difference from purple root plants compared with white root plants??
Awsome glog indeed mate!

I have made some trials with cuttings (some are in my GLOG), but so far only one of a mother plant with purple foliage. All my other trials involved plants with green foliage, and none of them exhibited purple colouration of the roots.

It struck me as quite a surprise when I first noticed it, and to be honest, I first thought it was a fungal colony of sorts. It was only when I removed the cuttings from the medium that I noticed that the purple colour indeed was a characteristic of the root itself. I made a mental link with anthocyanins and the purple colour of foliage and unripe fruit. Also, since the purple colour in leaves depends on the amount of (direct) sun that falls on the plant, I thought that the purple root colour was a consequence of exposure to light (I placed the cuttings in a transparent plastic cup with water).

Back