• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Purple sauce?

I have these carrots from the final harvest that are purple/dk red, and one called a black nebula. How would I make a purple sauce to use them so it doesn't muddy up normal colors of yellow, orange, etc colored peppers and additional ingredients? Was thinking maybe if I use lightest color peppers it would keep the purple better? Red onion to "dye it", instead of white onion?

Trying to organize the super random mix of bits of everything from the final harvest so I can put up these peppers in some form so they don't go bad! Will freeze/dehydrate most all but if there's something I can use freshies in its gotta taste a little better.. Would also be another sauce I could ferment or do it both ways.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

dragonsfire said:
"Muddy Up", So you want a finished Purple Sauce?
Red Cabbage
Beets
How does cabbage and/or beets taste in a hot sauce? Does it throw it off? I have a jar of pickled Beets I picked up from the canning dude at the swap meet and they are redder than red for sure! Just saw your blueberry ghost and am loving it btw! Picked up blueberries and blood oranges, wonder how frozen fruit would fare.. Have raspberry, BB, and mango chunks/pieces in my freeze that have been there LONG time like 3yr.
6535e8d34827f30ff157df616e421128.jpg
d54c63cc027656f2d0975609bbf2935d.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Think by color and taste

Lots of sauces have carrots so purple carrots

Purple onion

No cabbage

Blueberries

Definitely beets! They are a great color item, add bulk and sweetness.

Use dark vinegars, balsamic or malt.

Red colored hot peppers. Not yellow, orange or green.

Edit to add- red wine vinegar, grape juice, black cherry juice.
Black garlic
Tamarind
Tamari

Keep us posted. Love to see pics.

Have Fun!!!!
SL

What amount of carrots and peppers are you working with?

A great tasting sauce is the goal, but there are many ingredients to work with that can achieve a specifically colored sauce as well.

Back