• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
Paul that pod is going to get more caramel in color.  Beautiful.

Ok, I have a strange pod.  I cannot ID it except to say it is probably a PJH3 pod.  I found it in a big pail full of pods I picked today and I was not paying attention.  How stupid of me.  Look at this mutant!!
fAYQrnI.jpg

f9Y6gOe.jpg

My question to the group is this.  If I extracted seed from this beauty do you think I have a chance of the new plant growing out pods like this?  Its an absolutely insane pod (XXX).  

You might get more. Like that, but not all pods.
By selecting for that shape pod in succeeding
generations, you can eventually increase their
occurrence. I had good luck doing that with a
TFM Scotch Bonnet. After two or three generations,
I was getting more pods with stingers.:

I'd say my Bjh-02 pods look very similar to yours Paul, also with the sunny side clearly visible. I especially love when you cut them open and are greeted by the bright yellow colors.

0ac7d1e40575355fd1a10a4af10e33d5.jpg

33d8eb1e42520a68c50afa1bf035d1fe.jpg

Interesting that they Purple leafs really are dependent on bright light, as mine also lose their color when not exposed. Still a very gorgeous plant though!

4ae2665665ff8fae9775e456dfea41e2.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Glen_ said:
Beautiful caramel color.  Good job.
Can’t really take all the credit. It is a cross with
the Trippaul Threat F1 or F2. I’m going to be a
bit more rigorous with the version 2 accession.

lespaulde said:
I'd say my Bjh-02 pods look very similar to yours Paul, also with the sunny side clearly visible.
I’ll take that as a good sign, my friend! 
I especially love when you cut them open and are greeted by the bright yellow colors.
And righteous chinense heat scent.
Watch out  :mouthonfire: !

Interesting that they Purple leafs really are dependent on bright light, as mine also lose their color when not exposed. Still a very gorgeous plant though!
Yes, I agree. My plants are really just 
a dark green. Getting a little color back
with the current sunny weather.

lespaulde said:
Gorgeous pods PaulG, must feel good knowing you were behind its creation! :)

Since it is a cross with plants I grew from
Trippa’s F1 and F2 Seeds (pollinator), and a
nearby BJ Red, I have to say part of the credit
goes to him and the rest to random acts of
mother Nature!

So more like humbled to have this amazing
pepper just sort of get handed to me

Today's harvest. 
RioY5GG.jpg

These are the mystery pods.  F (5) Yellow lava or caramel
oRrQ5CW.jpg

These are BJH3 F(F5) yellow lava or caramel blocky pods
ZqX3vmN.jpg

These are plain jane red's.  BJH3-no purple gene-large pods-really juicy and especially spicy.  Plants are plain green.
Ryligek.jpg

BJH 3 lava red or blood red-blocky pods
xR5OrWF.jpg

These pods were described to me as yellow Bhut Jalokia.  The Mother plant of these pods is purple.  Unripe pods are purple as well.  Blooms are purple.  These pods are mild not harsh but at the same time especially spicy.  Beautiful yellow pods and the plant is especially productive even though it is 7 months old.  Rick Back sent me the seed.  
u9Q1y1e.jpg

This is the entire harvest.  And, there are plenty more outside to pick yet.

That is one awesome bunch of pods, Glen!

It is interesting that you are getting the yellow/
caramel pods from two plants.

Last season, my BJh-3 produced blocky
orange/caramel pods.

Keep up the good work, my friend!

Purple Thunder – BJH Mystery. Due to the terrible start I had this year, I never bothered to update this thread because I didn't think I'd get to mature pods. Turns out I was mistaken. So, here's a quick recap.

Plant went in 7/10, about six weeks late.
R23_4 PT-BJH Mystery IMG_20200710_125318533_2.jpg

...About ninety days later. Large, robust, healthy plant. Approaching five feet tall, four feet wide.
R23_4 PT-BJH Mystery IMG_20201015_152454388~2.jpg

These were the first pods to ripen. All were orangy-red – no purple. They were in full shade, under the large canopy.
R23_4 PT-BJH Mystery IMG_20201001_173309370~2.jpg

These pods are located mid-level on the plant, exposed to the sun. Purple shading present.
R23_4 PT-BJH Mystery IMG_20201001_173523599~2.jpg

Some of the ripe pods, avg 10g each.
R23_4 PT-BJH Mystery IMG_20201027_152521089~2.jpg

I probably only picked 30-40 pods or so, but this plant is loaded with unripe fruit. Frost is imminent, if it didn't happen last night. Boy, I sure wish I had those six weeks at the beginning of the season back.

Paul, I enjoyed growing PT-BJH Mystery. This is a great variety with nice pods. Thanks for sharing the seeds!

Well I’m finally getting some color on the PT2 yellow plants. Looking forward to these.

1f81e836620c95ecee007557cfbd38a0.jpg

And another
614f9f9e6febda763d83658b55d568db.jpg

And another
a231a39edf63889317c431b26b6ffa0d.jpg

And
86a76097290f29ed8e94c38e57962ad4.jpg

Pods are ripening late, hopefully it stays above freezing long enough to allow complete ripening.

Here is also the last of the three PT Mystery showing an Orange pheno. The other 2 plants showed red. Hopefully it stays orange.
7d80091d7f909056f80e428af5876dc4.jpg

Other pods
2b5d1d5aee8c43a34e99bac34cf2e032.jpg

I’ll keep you updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DownRiver said:
Purple Thunder – BJH Mystery. Due to the terrible start I had this year, I never bothered to update this thread because I didn't think I'd get to mature pods. Turns out I was mistaken. So, here's a quick recap.

I probably only picked 30-40 pods or so, but this plant is loaded with unripe fruit. Frost is imminent, if it didn't happen last night. Boy, I sure wish I had those six weeks at the beginning of the season back.

Paul, I enjoyed growing PT-BJH Mystery. This is a great variety with nice pods. Thanks for sharing the seeds!

Great update, DR. 

You weren't the only one with a poor early season,
buddy. Fortunately some warm summer sun saved
the grow season for us up here in PNW.

Looks like you have some nice pods in hand. I hope
the rest ripen up for you

rickvm said:
Well I’m finally getting some color on the PT2 yellow plants. Looking forward to these.

Pods are ripening late, hopefully it stays above freezing long enough to allow complete ripening.

Here is also the last of the three PT Mystery showing an Orange pheno. The other 2 plants showed red. Hopefully it stays orange.
Other pods

I’ll keep you updated!

Awesome update, Rick! Thanks for posting your
progress.  I'm glad the Purple Thunder was to
your liking. You have some great looking pods
there! You should get quite a few more ripe pods
down in Tejas!

Hey Paul, I’m happy they are finally producing now!! It was just to hot here in Texas. Dropped flowers for about 2 months straight on most of my plants, just a handful of pods all summer but now everything is loaded!

rickvm said:
Hey Paul, I’m happy they are finally producing now!! It was just to hot here in Texas. Dropped flowers for about 2 months straight on most of my plants, just a handful of pods all summer but now everything is loaded!

The milder winter temps should help a lot, Rick!

So cool that you are looking at a nice harvest in
the future. Bring your fire extinguisher to dinner!

rickvm said:
Hey Paul, Im happy they are finally producing now!! It was just to hot here in Texas. Dropped flowers for about 2 months straight on most of my plants, just a handful of pods all summer but now everything is loaded!

I had the same issues here, I only produced a few pods all season from my purple thunders, once out started cooling off they began to load up, but I'm afraid they froze last night. I'll probably still try again next season.

Back