• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to get some BJh-1 seeds from the seed train this year. I had seen the pods on other glogs here and decided to grow it this year.

This little guy sticks out from the bunch, with dark cotyledons:

FEPa6dw.jpg

Thanks for adding those seeds to the train Paul! Hoping to see this one set some of those cool looking pods!

6fuWfrn.jpg

Glad to see it off to a good start, HM!
The BJh-1 were the only isolated seeds I
managed to get from the Purple Thunder
last season.

That seedling has great color. I’m glad you
snagged some of those seeds!

Nice duck!

For 2021, I have decided to grow 2 - F4 Purple Thunder
Yellow/Caramel, and 2 - F6 Purple Thunder Panama GH
'Yellow Lava'. Going to drop seeds on Feb. 1

Can't wait to see what they do this year. The F6 should
be close to stabilized notwithstanding any spurious crossing.

bpiela said:
I am growing the Bjh-2, Bjh-3 and the Bjh-Mystery this season.  Hopefully, nothing crazy happens in my grow room except for healthy plants!
:woohoo:  Three varieties this season!

Good for you, my friend. Can't wait to see 'em!
Those were my three favorite strains.

Better luck in the 2021 season, buddy.
NO CRAZY ALLOWED   :shame:  ! 

The Purple Thunder Panama GH F6 and the
Purple Thunder Yellow/Caramel F4 seeds
went into the germinators on Feb. 1. So far, 
three F6 and five F4 have sprouted.

F6 on the left, F4 on the right:
A6C43044-C6FE-4D14-A748-69C9A2655623_1_201_a.jpeg

Anybody else have some PT going? Glen should
be at the peak of his summer down in Panama.

@Glen: Growing out your F6, buddy! The
             Yellow Lava version.Last I heard
             you had eleven plants going!

What's up?

Hi Paul and of course hi to everyone.  Yes, we are in the middle of the summer here in Panama.  I have many Purple Thunder plants growing.  I have 11 F6 Lava Yellow Purple Thunder plants.  Plus 6 mixed F5 Purple Thunder plants.  Plus various other Purple Thunder plants.  I also have many other Bhut and Bhut variants plus Carolina Reaper.  Mostly older plants-over a year old. Plus I have many Ajicito variants which are sweet chili's growing.  Plants live for a long time here.  I still have plants alive from the original seed Paul sent me back in December of 2019.  The plants are looking raggedy now since we are in the middle of the windy part of the season and its very hot.  I cannot eat all the chili's.  They are just too spicy to eat in any quantity.  Chili's just rot on the vines and fall off.  I am watering sometimes twice each day.  Plants are loaded with pods.

I cannot share seed with anyone now because of the crisis we are in.  USDA is on the job now and is confiscating all seed they find.  

I do have F7 seed in drying trays now.  

I wish everyone success with their chili grows and hope to see some good photo's.

I can't eat all the pods but this is something I plan to do with a few.  I am going to chop some up and boil them.  Then strain the peppers out.  I have bats living in my rafters.  I plan to spray some pepper juice on them.  It shouldn't kill em but it might make them feel a little less welcome.  

I can't believe the plants last that long down there,
Glen. I know there are downsides, as well, but that
is really awesome!

No worries about the seeds .Our turn will come again,
my friend!

Paul,
My white Lighting is chugging along, back ups have also popped up!
I am having good luck with germination on that one. Sure it may not be genetics, but it could be.

Purple thunder on the other hand, not so much. I do have one that hooked and I put it in to a solo cup. I do expect it to come up soon. The same methods of germination were used as the White Lightening.   Started both on 1/25 and I found the P.T. hook on 2/10. I started around 10 seeds each.

Glen_ said:

I can't eat all the pods but this is something I plan to do with a few.  I am going to chop some up and boil them.  Then strain the peppers out.  I have bats living in my rafters.  I plan to spray some pepper juice on them.  It shouldn't kill em but it might make them feel a little less welcome.  

I like the way you think! I have to deal with deer and bear, I'm thinking about something similar.

Cayennemist said:
Paul,
My white Lighting is chugging along, back ups have also popped up!
I am having good luck with germination on that one. Sure it may not be genetics, but it could be.

Purple thunder on the other hand, not so much. I do have one that hooked and I put it in to a solo cup. I do expect it to come up soon. The same methods of germination were used as the White Lightening.   Started both on 1/25 and I found the P.T. hook on 2/10. I started around 10 seeds each.
That's odd. I am having exactly the opposite
results as you. Too bad we don't live in the
same neighborhood, we could swap seedlings!
All of our seeds came from the same batch.

Paul-the plain green color does sometimes manifest.  Look at the seedling again.  Take a look at the stalk.  If the stalk is green it is a green plant.  My green plants have red pods.  Not lava red.  Just plain red.  A kind of dull red.  Did I send you any seed that is labeled green?  Usually all seed that comes from green parents are green.  I am also pretty sure its possible to get a green plant from any Purple Thunder parent.  I got my first green plant out of seeds you sent me.

I have 2 all green purple thunder plants now.  Pods red.  These aren't particularly striking plants to look at but the pods are wicked hot.  Plants can be very productive.  

Other news-I have an Orange Bhut Jalokia plant that Rick in Virginia sent me seed for.  It is growing over near the F-5 Purple Thunder plants.  The Bhut plant is a purple speciman.  Purple stems-the blooms are real purple on the front side and white on the back.  Leaf is purple.  Plant is old now and covered over in small fat red pods.  Well, I grabbed a pod a few months ago and split it open and scattered all the seeds into a 6 gallon pot.  Seed germinated quickly.  I now have the most beautiful purple plant I have ever seen now in that pot.  I think the plant was crossed by Purple thunder because the pods look like purple thunder pods now.  They are larger, longer purple thunder style pods.  The plant is smaller than Purple Thunder.  More delicate.  Darker purple also. Extremely attractive to look at.  This is the first obvious cross I have noticed.  I don't know what color the pods will be however there is going to be a ton of pods.

Back