• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
I've got three of four PT F4's that are up and looking healthy so far..... The one that remains to germinate is the one I planted directly into the IDOO unit. The other three I germinated with the paper towel method (one was transplanted to IDOO, the other two to a SOLO cup.) About 12 days to germinate, and 2-3 more after that for real sprouting.

1644786252429.jpeg
1644786284330.jpeg

I've got three of four PT F4's that are up and looking healthy so far..... The one that remains to germinate is the one I planted directly into the IDOO unit. The other three I germinated with the paper towel method (one was transplanted to IDOO, the other two to a SOLO cup.) About 12 days to germinate, and 2-3 more after that for real sprouting.
That is awesome! I always hold my breath until
I see a decent germ rate.

Thanks for posting the good news, Rich!

Interesting variability in color on two of my PT F4 starts...... one is very purple, the other just green.....thoughts on the variability? The purple one was germinated in a paper towel then transferred to the hydro unit, the green one was sowed directly into the hydro sponge.

1645055719497.jpeg
1645055794031.jpeg

EDIT: FWIW, the other two starts (germinated in paper towel and transferred to potting soil in Solo cups) are both green as well. I know from reading through the Glog that this isn't unique to have different colors, but just interesting for me to see as a noob! :)

Last edited:
Interesting variability in color on two of my PT F4 starts...... one is very purple, the other just green.....thoughts on the variability? The purple one was germinated in a paper towel then transferred to the hydro unit, the green one was sowed directly into the hydro sponge.

EDIT: FWIW, the other two starts (germinated in paper towel and transferred to potting soil in Solo cups) are both green as well. I know from reading through the Glog that this isn't unique to have different colors, but just interesting for me to see as a noob! :)
Variation is a possibility at this stage, for sure.
One would hope the situation were reversed,
three purple and one green!

You might find something fun growing out one of the
green ones, although the purple foliage is the stabili-
zation ‘Holy 🦄 Grail’ For the Purple Thunder :D .
Your purple seedling is nice and dark, Rich!

Last edited:
A weekly check-in on my PT F4 seedlings...... I'm in love with the color of this one!!!

1645390169323.jpeg

And, surprisingly, the one I posted last week that was green has now turned to purple (though it's a bit hard to tell from this crappy picture.....)

1645390204944.jpeg

My last two seedlings (which have been in dirt the whole time) are considerably smaller than the IDOO starts, and still very green.....

1645390241995.jpeg

I'm very pleased with how these are going so far!

Rich

Last edited:
@rgreenberg2000 - That purple seedling really
put on a lot of growth in a few days. And way
cool that the other IDOO seedling is putting on
a purple dress - can't argue with that. Maybe
the other two sill do the same thing.

I see awesome pods in your future!

@rgreenberg2000 - That purple seedling really
put on a lot of growth in a few days. And way
cool that the other IDOO seedling is putting on
a purple dress - can't argue with that. Maybe
the other two sill do the same thing.

I see awesome pods in your future!
Ya know, it hadn't occurred to me that I updated this just Wednesday......wow, that was a lot of growth in four days! :). While expected, I'm finding the difference in the pace of growth between the IDOO and soil to be pretty interesting.

Nice color on those seedlings, @Deadpouk,
they will fill up those pots in no time! :woohoo:

Wow what a cool pepper cross, been a delight to see all the pictures. Why haven’t I stumbled upon this before 🤔
I volunteer to help grow out this cross next season, I might be too late for this one.

@Mildfruit - Just say the word, Rasmus!
The more the merrier :party:

Glad you dropped in for a visit. Don’t be
a stranger!

I'm pretty sure this plant is going to be my winner.....another rather explosive week of growth, and, @PaulG, the color on this beauty! Ya done good! :)

1645991133034.jpeg

Plant #2 put on some good growth, and has that nice purple color.....sorry, crap photos with crap light! :)

1645991174505.jpeg

Plants 3 & 4 are doing their (slower) thing in the dirt, and starting to purple up a bit, too....

1645991210549.jpeg

Happy Sunday, all!

Rich

Three Purple Thunder plants underway. Not as
purple as Rich's first pic in post #217 :eek:

The Mystery strain has big, gnarly, fluorescent red pods.
87626E38-8894-42B8-843F-98A9B0CE467D_1_201_a.jpeg

The BJh-3 had blocky, orange-and-purple-shaded pods.
F92DE5D6-1FFE-4AE0-82BC-826118321ECE_1_201_a.jpeg

The is an F5 from @Downriver's 2021 season.
Beautiful pods came from that plant.
D3D12BED-853C-47A0-9E37-1C394010B17A_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Back