• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Pusa Asita black carrot

MarcV

Extreme Member
I recently saw this purple carrot on the baker creek web site and since I love everything deep purple I started looking for a local seed source immediately. Unfortunately they are nowhere to be found in my area and baker creek does not ship to europe anymore. Wouldn't be a good idea anyway because of the european import taxes. Has anyone grown this carrot and is it actually worth growing?

Screenshot_20220109-112601_Chrome.jpg

Actually I'm just curious... I have never grown carrots before and I don't have the "fluffy" soil that is needed to grow carrots properly...

I grew them several years ago, but only got a few and the flavor raw was not impressive. Roasted could be another story. I think it's an Indian variety. Does India export seed to you? I found my new favorite last fall, an heirloom Japanese -Kyoto Red. Very tasty. Also Baker Creek.

IMG_1399.jpg

What attracted me was the fact that the pusa asita was said to be the carrot with the very highest amount of anthocyanins. That alone is enough to get my attention 🙂

What attracted me was the fact that the pusa asita was said to be the carrot with the very highest amount of anthocyanins. That alone is enough to get my attention 🙂

Hi @MarcV , I haven't grown Pusa Asita but I've grown Black Nebula and it has a very similar appearance and is also said to be loaded with anthocyanins. It was very good and the flavor was slighly different than some of the other carrots. I'd say it is worth growing if you can get your hands on some seeds. You mentioned soil and space limitations-I'd try a grow bag if you have an opportunity.

Another big winner for me as far as carrots was the Uzbek golden. I wasn't expecting that much from it but as far as taste and earliness it beat out the others. Really sweet, delicious carrot. Not purple though.

My new rabbit hole is purple sweet potatoes. Some of these varieties really taste spectacular, I made a purple sweet potato pie with them and it was really good. Hopefully I can get some slips going and make it happen.

Back