• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Put One Finger in the Air

Man i'm sorry i dont mean to be a downer but i'm pissed !!!!! :drunk: and no amount of drinking can solve this problem :beer: lol i got ANTZ !! those SOB's got to my orange habanero i got from Home Depot. it was my first and the only one in the backyard. all you guys can relate you never forget you first ! lolol and not just a few there everywhere it too late, i just wanna take a flame throw to kill those little SOBs lol :flamethrower:

Ants don't do any damage to chile peppers, but they mine and protect aphids, so that could be trouble. Was there damage to the plant or just a ton of ants everywhere? Not sure why it's too late to do anything?

Here's a good article about ants and aphids...it's pretty incredible all the things ants do with them to get the honeydew, including milking them, tearing off their wings to make them stay put, and carrying them to new food sources. :eek:

http://insects.about.com/od/coolandunusualinsects/f/antsandaphids.htm

+1 on what AB said unless they are some strange pepper-eating-leaf-cutting ants. Get some diatomeaous earth from Lowe's / Home Depot / any pool supply place and powder all of your plants. Don't think it is ants doing the damage, but without pictures I / we could be wrong.

Ants don't do any damage to chile peppers, but they mine and protect aphids, so that could be trouble. Was there damage to the plant or just a ton of ants everywhere? Not sure why it's too late to do anything?
yeah my leaves looked dry and wiltted last week so i added a ton of water, thinking it would bounce back this week as i do occasionally but these ants seem to be all up in my plants' personal space, all over the leaves, up and down the stem i cant even touch the leaves without geting ants all over my hands ! i really have no clue why they are there. i thought antz were only attracted to sugar and sweet stuff :doh:
nice article !!! very informative i didnt even know what an aphids was !

the ants are likely nesting in the area you watered
to get them to go away water frequently,
the ant colony should find another spot and move to it
with the proper encouragement :dance: (do not ever give up)

I dont think ants themselves will harm your plants. I have several pots that i know have ant colonies down in the dirt. I know i do NOT have aphids though...ants just found a new home but watering should drive them out of there. If they are all over your foliage, I would look very closely for aphids.

yeah my leaves looked dry and wiltted last week so i added a ton of water, thinking it would bounce back this week as i do occasionally but these ants seem to be all up in my plants' personal space, all over the leaves, up and down the stem i cant even touch the leaves without geting ants all over my hands ! i really have no clue why they are there. i thought antz were only attracted to sugar and sweet stuff :doh:
nice article !!! very informative i didnt even know what an aphids was !

You should check for aphids or other insects/mites/etc. because ants are not the cause of the wilt. Could be a fungal problem or any number of things. What are they planted in? If you post some pictures we might be able to help diagnose the problem. Also could just be the hot weather that's making them wilt, do they perk back up at night?

Back