bottles-jars Putting a recipe on a bbq sauce bottle, tacky or good idea?

Our 3rd product line will be a Bavarian influenced, mustard based BBQ sauce (mustard/habanero) with a medium heat at max.

This bottle I chose was the exact same height as the 5oz woozy bottle, but fatter.  Same look, but wider.  It's called a Stout bottle, and apparently are only made twice a year and are a tad more expensive, but I love the look.

16_oz_Stout_Bottle_38_CT.jpg

This was chosen over the standard glass/pet decanter style, or the lanky ringneck bottles that I've been seeing everywhere primarily for these reasons:
  • Same overall neck and shoulder look as the woozy but 3" wide
  • Same height as the 5oz woozy (7" tall), so labels line up on a shelf
  • Cost is only about 5 cents more per bottle, but production is limited
The label size is 3.25 x 9" with a much wider "Front Panel" than the standard woozy. (5oz woozy is 3.25 x 6", this is 3.25 x 9" with a 3" wide front panel)

This allows for 4 'panels' across the label itself:
  • Left Panel - Romance Panel, Heat Index, UPC 1-3/4" wide
  • Front Panel - Product Logo/Artwork - 3" wide
  • Right Panel - Additional serving suggestions / recipes - 2-1/4" wide
  • Back Panel - Nutritional info / ingredients 1-1/2" wide
I wanted to put a slow-cooker pulled pork recipe on the right panel.  It is a very simple recipe but It would take up the entire section (about 3-1/4"H x 2-1/4"W)

Is putting a recipe on a label considered a waste of space?  Tacky?  Gimicky?  Should I instead do more back-story on the Bavarian influence on South Carolina's BBQ?  What would be the best use of a 3.25 x 2.25"W section on the right side of a label (see dimensions above)

Here's an early mock of the label so you can see the width easier,  not necessarily the exact design  yet, but wanted to show where the panels were:
bbq-mock1.jpg

The only problem with QR codes is that no one uses them except companies. They still have yet to catch on with consumers and I am skeptical they ever will. 

I think a much more artisan look would be to use a hang tag with a recipe on it. This can be a little 2" x 2" folded piece of thick stock paper - cheap to print, punch a little hole & tie it to each bottle. 

Yes, it's more time consuming. Yes, it adds a ~$0.15 cost to each bottle, but 1. it looks really classy. 2. If someone is out camping with your sauce and has no internet they'll still have the recipe. 3. Assuming the sauce doesn't suck and the recipe doesn't suck, they will have the little hang tag long after the sauce bottle is empty and recycled - which can remind them to buy more if they are keen to replicate the experience (which the QR code or even recipe-on-label won't do). 

It's a very high-end look at a very affordable price. And the best part is that unlike the label, changing the hang-tag with different recipes is quick & easy and doesn't require a label overhaul every time. 

My $.02

Not bad advice there Scott, just put my rarely used QR tag on my new biz cards...well old cards but was out :) Oh and a coupon code. I like the hang tag idea because you could have interchangeable ones for the same or different sauces. 

All are good ideas. But I know people scan QRs a lot here. A lot of hipsters, and iPhone junkies, for sure. Regular people. I've seen people QR posters on the street, etc.

I'm sure the older crowd has no idea what they are, so there's that.

The Hot Pepper said:
All are good ideas. But I know people scan QRs a lot here. A lot of hipsters, and iPhone junkies, for sure. Regular people. I've seen people QR posters on the street, etc.

I'm sure the older crowd has no idea what they are, so there's that.
I agree, I use them often and much faster than the fastest typist 

Yeah, that stuff stays on there or goes in some junk drawer, then gets tossed 4 years later lol.

jedisushi06 said:
very tacky
Nah. You look at heinz,kraft and all them folks. They do it and theres a reason they do. Because they are players and they know how to play. 
Terrible idea on a code or a clip off.  

Thrown away people feel like theres a catch then. recipe on the label. Slam bam thank you mam.

Who gives a shit if anyone uses it. It makes it seem like there is a reason for the product.

Yeah.

And I mean other products. Of course his recipe is going to have his sauce. That's what the recipe is for lol. But the big companies do stuff like:

BBQ chicken with (our) sauce and (our) seasoning and (our other brand's) mayonnaise and (our partners) soup packet... and the recipes are of course, garbage. Pure marketing.

At least in this case, you are already buying the sauce, so you can at least have faith the recipe is legit. Unless it mentions a bunch of brands (which it won't).

The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah.

And I mean other products. Of course his recipe is going to have his sauce. That's what the recipe is for lol. But the big companies do stuff like:

BBQ chicken with (our) sauce and (our) seasoning and (our other brand's) mayonnaise and (our partners) soup packet... and the recipes are of course, garbage. Pure marketing.

At least in this case, you are already buying the sauce, so you can at least have faith the recipe is legit. Unless it mentions a bunch of brands (which it won't).
i fully get  what every one is saying. What im saying is put a recipe on your label. Great idea. Is not tacky and people will love it. 

Have you guys ever talked bad about anything and your reason was,"they put a "recipe" or "directions" with it. All im saying, it is not tacky. 

People will buy your product and hopefully buy it one more time to try the recipe.  

Back