• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds PWH can't take off the seeds shell

Hi y'all hope everyone is good and safe
I've some 6 yo Peruvian white habanero seeds which are getting me crazy over this past 3 years, every time they pop and shows the tip of the root the game is over, they looks so weak and never shown even the cotiledons
This time I've tried to let em more time soaking in water, some seeds were 2 weeks, lil root tip, planted em and didn't even get out the surface..
1 seed I've let it more than a month soaking, till I saw double sized root than the other failed seeds.
Nice it's growing but it can't get out the seed shell and cuticle.
Right now I've taken out the seed shell with a needle but seem like the cuticle is hanging it Hahah so dont know if I should trash this seeds...
Do anyone know any tip about this shit situation??
They are on a cup with another cup on top of it like an individual greenhouse, spraying the seed shell to let it more soft but the seedling doesn't look strong adhered to the soil
Any help would be super appreciated

Attachments

• 20200624_032744.jpg
    20200624_032744.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200624_032842.jpg
    20200624_032842.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 80
hello
i have that problema when the temprature is low (probably this) or need a bit humidity.
Try and put in a very small container a little wet cotton and put the seeds where the temperature is a little higher and leave the seeds until the hat comes out.
good luck

Karpasruuti said:
Plant them slighly deeper. They getting stronger roots and it's easier them to break the shell. But I usually germinate on a floating paper boat or on the paper pillow and plant them after I see some activation.
Thanks karpasruuti ive put a bit more soil around the lil stem and looks like its getting a bit strong attached to the soil
I know i shouldn't but I use to touch it to see how soft it is

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
I would try
scarification on your next attempt at germination.
Thanks so much TNC, I'll try 4 sure next time.
I've got some problems with strong seed shell but with human help doenst goes wrong, but this one I've taken off their seed shell and doesn't look strong to get out the cuticle, and i don't have medical pulse to make that operation trying to keep it with high humity and patience..

ze_test said:
hello
i have that problema when the temprature is low (probably this) or need a bit humidity.
Try and put in a very small container a little wet cotton and put the seeds where the temperature is a little higher and leave the seeds until the hat comes out.
good luck
Thanks ze_zest, nice to see an Iberican brother round THP, all my seedlings are under 24h light, 29-30C but so low humidity, that's why I use to grow em inside a lil greenhouse made with transparent cups till they are big enough for the "warm space"

Attachments

• 20200624_180456.jpg
    20200624_180456.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200624_181018.jpg
    20200624_181018.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200624_181033.jpg
    20200624_181033.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200624_180101.jpg
    20200624_180101.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 90
Fermenting Spanishtan said:
PD: sorry for the wrong side pics, don't know why they didn't upload well on this post, I'll try to correct it.

Well let's see if we can help with that!

It is the stored EXIF Data that causes this.

Even if you don't have an iPhone (And this article talks about email orientation.), this is helpful, Why iPhone pictures flip when emailed, and how to fix it and LifeWire-How to Fix a Digital Photo Turned Sideways(Rotate pictures that display sideways online)

Our intrepid leader posted this helpful hint.

The Hot Pepper said:
If you edit the pic before uploading it will upload correctly. Editing it "saves" the orientation instead of using native, which would be the way you held the phone. Really it is uploading correctly, but other sites like FB have better software that read the orientation EXIF.

Back