Pyrethrins...One question

Do pyrethrins have to be sprayed directly on the insect, or can I douse the leaves in advance of an insect attack?  Will it still be effective?

no it is systemic from my experience and can also be used to prevent and control as well as spot kill, the down side with it is with alot of rain or watering it doesn't persist very long before being washed away then it must be applied again
it is from a natural source(Marigolds) and is about one of the safes insecticides you can use besides EUGINOL AND GERANIOL

i have used it to fight and win against aphids inside the house and it seems to keep them from returning

thanks your friend Joe

I thought it was derived from chrysanthemums. I had to apply it about once a month to an over wintered butch T to fight off aphids, about 4 times, total.

Roguejim said:
I thought it was derived from chrysanthemums. I had to apply it about once a month to an over wintered butch T to fight off aphids, about 4 times, total.
opps your right they are from MUMS thanks wrong flower, yes you do have to reapply it more than ones but it still one of the safest so its worth it

thanks your friend Joe

Marigolds contain thiophenes and similar compounds that are bug repellents.

Pyrethrins are derived from chrysanthemums and are both insecticidal and insect repellent. Direct spraying will kill insects and spraying the plant will serve as a deterrent. Pyrethrum containing piperonyl butoxide is more effective than pyrethrum alone. All insecticides have some level of toxicity in mammals. I would only use when needed.

Back