Quad found a Griswold Cast Iron Griddle !!

Nice pan!
When my one Gramma passed on there was a lot of bickering about who was getting what (she was fairly well off), the only thing I asked Gramps for was her cast iron.

I think I came out ahead of the money grubbers, and with her southern fried chicken recipe cooked in her cast iron, it's like she's still watching out for me. :)

Skydiver said:
Nice pan!
When my one Gramma passed on there was a lot of bickering about who was getting what (she was fairly well off), the only thing I asked Gramps for was her cast iron.

I think I came out ahead of the money grubbers, and with her southern fried chicken recipe cooked in her cast iron, it's like she's still watching out for me. :)

That is beautiful man!

*sniff sniff*

Ok, I'd mentioned I'd found a CL ad for a cast iron skillet and grill going for $5 for both..(!!)...well, here they are:

S6303333.jpg

Turned out, that the "nice old seasoned skillet" is a POS from Taiwan...but after some good salt scrubbing it actually was seasoned ok and just needed a bit of TLC. It'll do.

Nice bit is the grill that is what looks like a "newer" but still very nice double-sided Lodge...the other side is flat.

Those retail right now for about $30-60 so I'm happy.

It's been neglected, and so got the bigtime scrubbing...but I prevailed over guck and rust.... :)

The Lodge grill and my Griswold skillet have been seasoning in my ancient 'ol oven and are looking beautiful again.

I'll post pics once they cool off...that'll take awhile... ;)

I'm tired sore and hapy again..but more so that I now have the stuff I needed for Total Cookin' p0wNaGE!!! Muahahaaa!

*goes to drink beer now*

Well, here's the final results...

They ain't BLACK yet, 'cus were seasoned with Canola which gives an initial brown hue...but they will be getting there as I use 'em. :D

S6303344.jpg

S6303345.jpg

Quite the difference eh?

The most striking to me is the ERIE....b4 ya couldn't hardly read the back at all...now it's nearly like new again...for being over 100 yrs old anyways.

It's been a long journey, and a learnng experience...but man, I love this stuff. 8-)

Heheh, yeppers.

This morning for brekky I made some burritos with leftover rice/lentil/bean/chicken stuff w/ cheddar, fried 'em up in teh skillet and topped with Mozz and CM's Ghost Pepper Sauz after getting 'em browned nicely on both sides...mmmm, crispy.

Then, just turned the burner off, covered and let the residual heat from teh iron finish it off....AwesomeMeltyCrispyNess. :D

Sorry., no pix..I was hungry...

*edit*

Ya know, I haven't used a CI pan in a looooong time..and DANG...the difference in the flavor is just silly.

Even though I'd browned up burritos with the same butter in my regular pans a zillion times, it never had the richness of flavor liek this did....it's just like the stuff Mom used to cook me up 35+ yrs ago in her ancient Erie Skillet.

Coooolio!

P.S.: Discovered I really need to get some oven mitts... :mouthonfire:

QuadShotz said:
P.S.: Discovered I really need to get some oven mitts... :mouthonfire:

Yup, or at least a nice thick towel that you ALWAYS KEEP DRY! Nothing like grabbing a hot pan with a moist or even slightly moist towel. Hot cast iron + moist = steam = :mouthonfire: = #&$*$^@^$*$^#

I have this big lodge cast iron camping fry pan I used as a pizza stone last time. I just flipped it upside down so I was using the bottom of the pan...

I heated the pan up in the oven first, made the crust EXTRA crispy and made the wife EXTRA happy (she loves crispy thin crust).

Enjoy bad man Quad.

Thanks to it being frellin' hot lately, I haven't much felt like really cooking and thus heat up the place. Not enough to actually heat a 12"x1/2" piece of Iron properly...but I will surely get it goin' on soon.

The skillet, as might be expected, has been used a lot though already. ;)

Back