• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Queensland Blue Soup...

So I am not usually a fan of anything veggie...unless its :hot: but we planted some Queensland Blue Squash anyway. (Thanks for the seeds Pash!) Fun to grow with the kiddos, at least until it got up and running and they lost interest. Meanwhile the QB didn't care who was growing it...it was determined to take over about a quarter acre of the yard. Ended up yanking all of the plants but a couple of the vines to make room for some more peppers. Of the several plants I pulled I ended up with a few of theses...
P1010919.jpg

I dug around online for what to do with them...most recipes were soups. I didn't really like where most of them tried going with it, so I took a little from each recipe and add-libbed the rest...

I cut and emptied the punkin and placed in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes...
P1010920.jpg

This one was a little under ripe...not too bad though.
P1010921.jpg

Meanwhile I started making up the rest of the story...a little of this, a little of that.
P1010922.jpg

Went with about half a small onion chopped and 1 each Poblano and Big Jim (roasted, peeled, stemmed and seeded then chopped fine as well) Not pictured are a couple stalks of celery I decided to add later on. Sauteed all these in a little Olive oil until all soft and mushy...added a heaping spoonful of the garlic and two chicken bouillon cubes and just enough water to help it all mingle. 'Bout that time the timer went off...removed the QB from the oven and spooned the good part into the pan with the other goodies...
P1010923.jpg

Continued to add water and stir until everything in there was nice, soft and smelling GOOD! Then to make it look a little more like soup...
P1010924.jpg

Pureed in the FP for a couple minutes....added hot water through the feeder tube 'till it was less a mashed potato and more of a soup consistency. Then back in the pan for a final heating and seasoning...things added included some cracked pepper, sea salt, Tony Chachere's Creole and half a packet of chicken ramen seasoning (just happened to be laying there and looking good). Also put about a quarter cup of diced green chiles in for good measure...and voila!
P1010925.jpg

Finished it with a dollop of daisy...the better half was skeptical from the first time she laid eyes on the plant all the way to final plate (bowl) up. One taste and she was no longer a hater...This soup is freakin delicious!

Hope you all had a fiery food weekend folks!
Shane

A bit of my inspiration from here:
http://night-child80.livejournal.com/910572.html

and here...
http://www.messyandpicky.com/index.php/2009/01/05/heirloom-queensland-blue-squash-soup/

Back