question about F1 , F2, F3, ect

HI.

I've read that they will cross pollinate readily- chinense with  chinense and chinense with annums and the Chinense characteristics will be dominate.

I saved seeds from a Carolina Reaper that was grown in a bed with other varieties of chinense and some annums nearby. I sowed those seeds this season.

Am I correct in calling theses plants F1's?

Assuming I isolate these plants and harvest pods from these plants, save those seeds, and grow next year, will those be F2's?

And in subsequent years, I follow the same isolation practices, I assume each season will be F3, F4, F5, ect. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks

Valleyman said:

Am I correct in calling theses plants F1's?

They would only be called F1 if you are sure they were pollenated by something other than a reaper. What is the other variety you hope crossed with the reaper? What do the seedlings look like?

dash 2 said:

They would only be called F1 if you are sure they were pollenated by something other than a reaper. What is the other variety you hope crossed with the reaper? What do the seedlings look like?
Wouldn't it be hard to tell from just the seeds? And yeah, only if something else pollinated them, but given how easily that happens, at least one is an F1 hybrid. Most are probably reapers though.

We still need seed pics, and how far away from the other plants was it. 1 foot? 2?

Yeah, I dont even know if they crossed with non reapers. It's a guessing game at this point. So far they look like my other chinense seedlings. Plants still a tad small but they have the typical large leaves and are stout for their height

I'm not purposely trying to cross but my curriousity certainly is strong.

I grew them within 2 feet of a Mak Phet (cayenne looking type), Red Congo, and another no name chinense that was small, smooth, yellow, and thick walled. That pepper came from someone who said it was a yellow scorpion which clearly  it wasn't.

Back