• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Question about isolating a new cross

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding a new cross that I have received from a FB friend of mine. Very excited about this one.

He has grown out the F1 generation and provided me with the seeds. I am planning on growing 4 plants of this cross in my grow tent for the F2 generation. Do I need to have isolation netting between each plant or can I have them together and risk cross-pollination... even though the seeds are genetically the same? Or can I just grow the plants in the same space together as cross pollination wouldn't matter in this situation? I don't understand genetics very well at all.

Any help on this is very appreciated. Thank you all.

It's best to isolate each plant, especially if you're selecting for recessive pairings, but if you're indoors in a tent it's close to a non-issue.  Most likely you have no pollinator activity and netting won't stop pollination by air drift, which would be likely be negligible anyway.  What I do is stop running my fan during flowering until I have isolated pods set and then I mark them, just to be safe. It they're not setting well, I remove the plants and manually pollinate being sure not to use the same implement, brush or whatever, on successive plants. 

The plants aren't actually genetically the same unless they are cuttings from the same plant.

Even when a variety is stable and (what is termed) homozygous the seeds it produces (by itself) are still genetically different and will produce plants with slight variations despite breeding true.

When a plant is not homozygous or stable the variation is much greater even when the seeds are from the same fruit.

CaneDog's advice is spot on.

Back