• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting Question about My Lighting and advice needed

I purchased this system in 2009:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-4-Foot-Start-Light-System/dp/B0001XLSGQ/

I have been using it for the last 4 seasons to start my seedlings. They stay under the light 17 hours a day for 6 to 8 weeks until i transplant out.

This season, I am trying a full indoor grow with a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, now a little more than 2 weeks old. I'm reasonably sure that I will need to upgrade my lighting, but first, I want to be sure of the specifications that I have. Amazon now lists the light as a T-5. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that this system was advertised as a T-3 when I purchased it. How can I check by looking at the unit. The only thing I noticed is that the bulb is listed as 54 Watts. My Internet research shows me that if this is indeed a T-5, it would be outputting 5,000 lumens.

From chatting here and with others, it appears that this is not nough lumens to produce fruit. What is the minimum amount of lumens that are necessary to produce fruit?

Thanks

There are 3 size bulbs. T5, T8 and T12. I listed them smallest to biggest. That is diameter/thickness not length.

I just looked at the the bulb itself and it is stamped 6400K.

I assume that it is now clear what we are looking at. Any chance that I can get fruit from this light, or am I still way short on output?

They make 6400K in all 3 sizes. That should be fine bordering on really good for growing them inside. Rock this season out!!!!

That single light will definitely not do for a full time indoor grow. How many plants do you intend to keep indoor full time? And I am pretty sure that it is a T5 if it says 54watts. That would make it a HO T5.
Also it may put out 5000 lumens but that is over 4 feet and not concentrated enough for a single plant.

I use these.. A lot of these

http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=8892

It will provide enough light to grow plants to bloom full time in a 3'x3' square. That means it will be just enough for a single large moruga plant. Now you can put a 200 watt bulb in it and get a 4'x4' grow area. The 125 watt bulb gives about 7000 lumens but that is concentrated in the 3'x3' area.

A 4 bulb 2' T5 HO fixture would be ideal for growing a 4'x4' area. That is the most ideal setup but what I also use a lot is a 4 bulb T8 shop light fixture that I get from Lowes for $50. T8 lamps are cheap and readily available in 6500K.

Hope your grow goes well and keep us updated.

If I keep this light for the full indoor grow, I'm going to have to put something under the legs as I am not going to be able to raise it high enough to not touch to top of the plant, once I transplant it into a large bucket. If I keep and ind supplement it with another light, I'll have to figure out the best placement as I wouldn't want any the stronger light to be blocked by the back of this light.

Back