• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Question About Temperatures for Indoor Growing

Hi gang, currently I'm growing 16 cayenne pepper plants in a "light box" heated with a seedling mat. The plants are about 2 months old, and I've topped them at least once due to flowering. My question...do I still need the heat mat turned on? it keeps it about 80 degrees in the box 24 hrs a day. At night, when the growing lights would be off, our house gets down to about 65 degrees. Do you think it's safe to turn the mat off for good, or leave it on longer?

Thanks in advance!

Pic taken a couple weeks ago:

wpid-20140105_151734.jpg

I have seedlings and plants over 1' tall in a spare room that gets into the low 60's every night.  Not had a problem

You should be fine, My fatalli's that are outdoors were trimmed back about 6 weeks agos to just a stalk. THey are growing back, fruiting and flowering again and it been in the 40,50,60s at night the whole time. We even had 2 nights that got down to the mid 30's. And they still looking fine.
So you should be fine.

But alos, if you are worried about the night, if the light box is sealed, you can always run the lights at night to keep them a little wamer and the lights off during the day, when the house would be warmer.

Back