• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Question about when the plant produces fruit.

When reading up on the different varieties I often come across text saying that the plant will bear fruit 85-120 days after transplant. From what I understod you transplant the plant a few times when you're growing it, so it doesn't really make sense to me. I'd be really happy if someone could explain what's meant by this.

There's generally no need for multiple transplants. I'm not sure why people do this. When they say 85-120 days, they're referring to the time it takes for the plant to reach maturity after planting the seed.

That's really helpful, thank you guys.

I think I'll have at least one middle stage, I'm still not sure which ones to keep, so I'll give them more time to grow. Also, it's an issue of space, there are only so many windows in the house, and outside is still frosty. 

The industry uses the days till maturity very deceptively.  Generally, if they say start your seeds 6 weeks (42 days) before last frost and matures in 120 days after transplant, they mean 120 days plus 42 days, so 162 days after the seeds are planted.  However, they also sometime do same and say till maturity rather than till harvest.  So 162 days till they set flowers which can be a couple months before fruit is put on.  Then there is growing conditions.  If it is too warm at night, flowers will drop and no fruit will be produced until later in the season when things cool down a bit.

I am going to use the Carolina Reaper as an example because I know I am listing the information from the person who invented the thing.  The page at the Puckerbutt Pepper Company says the thing can mature in as little as 70 days.  Now think on that, a Chinense that goes from seed to mature fruit in 70 days?

Back