• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Question about yellow foliage

Ok, from my understanding, yellow foliage on peppers indicates lack of nitrogen.
However, I only have this yellowing on one variety. Please take a look at this picture.

IMG_4647-e1268504786686.jpg

The nice green ones on the left and right are jalapenos and other bell varieties, but the yellow ones down the center of the picture are Golden California Wonders. Now, I know they are supposed to produce yellow peppers eventually, but does this variety just grow with some yellowish foliage as well?

A larger resolution image is here if you want a closer look:
http://carsonimages.com/2010grow/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/IMG_4647.jpg

I have not grown this variety before, and I don't want to over-react and give too much nitrogen
to the plants if they don't need it. Because everything looks healthy and green except this
one variety, I thought maybe that is just they way those happen to look.

Thanks!

could also be from overwatering.
I don't believe theyre is any pepper plant that grows yellow leaves except for a few of mine:)

Different kinds of plants may require different levels of nitrogen or other nutrients. I'm not saying that's the resolution here, but it is something to keep in mind. I've noticed this with my plants, as my Bhuts need more magnesium than the rest of the varieties I've planted.

I grew Charleston Hot cayennes last year and all the plants had foliage that looked a sickly yellow. The plants were downright ugly. They got the same nutrients as all the other varieties which looked lush green and healthy. I think sometimes it's just the plant itself.

jetskee said:
The nice green ones on the left and right are jalapenos and other bell varieties, but the yellow ones down the center of the picture are Golden California Wonders. Now, I know they are supposed to produce yellow peppers eventually, but does this variety just grow with some yellowish foliage as well?

No, my Cali Yellow Wonders are nice and green (with purplish stems), and growing like mad.

Matt50680 said:
No, my Cali Yellow Wonders are nice and green (with purplish stems), and growing like mad.

Do you treat your Goldens any differently than other varieties (different fertilizers or watering)?

I think I'm gonna lay off the watering for a while and see if
that clears up the yellowing. I have been watering pretty regularly, but no
more than I have the other 10 varieties I'm growing. And not what I would consider
excessive watering, either.

I have fed my Yellow Cali's once, 1/4 strength. I am only watering when the soil pulls away from the edge of the cups and looks dry on the top. If you click my grow log link, you will see my Yellow Cali's.

Typically interveinal chlorosis (green veins, yellow between) means Magnesium deficiency, eg. sprinkle a pinch of epsom salt around the topsoil before your next water.

Also, if you are going to top water, I strongly suggest putting a small amount of epsom salt in the water jug everytime so you do not flush all the magnesium out every watering. Not alot though, you don't want to overload them with it.

I found this on the web, thought you might find it interesting also...

* Epsom Salts for Tomatoes and Peppers

Tomatoes and peppers may show signs of magnesium deficiency late in the season, when their leaves begin to yellow between the leaf veins and fruit production decreases. Whether you will get more and/or larger fruits will depend on many things in addition to using Epsom salts, but using them does seem to have some benefit.

Either mix in 1 T. of Epsom salts into the soil at the bottom of the planting hole when setting out transplants or mix the 1 T. in a gallon of water and water the seedling.

Follow-up with a foliar spray of 1T. per gallon of water when the plants start to flower and again when the young fruits start to form. Try it on a few plants and see if you can tell the difference as the season goes along.

Don’t worry about being exact as to when you apply the Epsom salts. This is a home gardening remedy and there are as many formulas as there are home gardens. Some gardeners only add Epsom salts at planting time. Others like to water or foliar feed with Epsom salts every other week. In this case I’d recommend a more dilute solution, mixing only 1 t. of salts per gallon of water. And some gardeners simply use the Epsom salts when they remember. It’s all good.

Just an update....since most of the stuff I had seen about magnesium deficiency was on older
plants, rather than seedlings, I tried the "overwatering" theory first.

I gave them 7 days without water, and they all greened right up and look just as healthy as my
jalapenos and other varieties. Thanks for the advice.

Back