• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Question bout mold on top of soil....

Think I read some where mold on top of pots could be an underlying issue. Maybe this site or another. Possibly meaning root rot. Bottom water and haven't quite figured out when's long enough. As when I see the first sign of moisture on top, I pull and drain. Yet mold forms in the next 24 hours. Plants are in promix bx. An all my 2 month old plants have lost atleast 6-8 bottom leaves over time (except reapers) An I haven't ferted but twice in the last month. With 1/4 strength alaskan fish fert. Just wondering whats going on?

I made a post about this a few days ago and the answer seemed to be that there wasn't enough air circulation around the plants, resulting in the formation of mould (I use British English). Apparently the solution is to either relocate your plants to place with better ventilation or to simply set up a small fan next to them.

I may not have an answer for you , but here's my thoughts. I only bottom water small starts myself. I set the small cups in water/nutes for 20 minutes , long enough to see they are wet , very wet. Then I make sure the extra water can drain and they don't sit in it. I won't do that again until I feel they're right next to bone day. I also don't do that every time , I water from the top to help flush the plants and make sure there's no salts building up. Again I make sure they drain well and don't sit in any extra water. Once plants are in 1/2 to 1 gal pots I DON'T bottom water unless I simply can't make the time to water from the top. And remember plants use the water at different rates. One may need water and another doesn't .

I used to raise African Violets and they use to have mold problems at times. I used the old time Lysol concentrate , NOT the spray in a can. Mixed like the instructions ... put in it a hand spray bottle and sprayed away. Kills the mold and never hurt the plants.

Peace & good luck,
P.Dreadie

What Jupiter said certainly wouldn't hurt . The idea is to NOT keep them moist all the time .

The mold is harmless if its due to low air circulation, white mold. If you use wood Popsicle sticks or stir sticks they tend to rot causing white mold, which is harmless. Wipe it off gently with your finger and gently turn the surface of your soil, then get a fan on it. Mold thrives in still air, humid environments. Somebody in another post suggested using a bit of hydrogen peroxide diluted with water to kill it, but white mold doesn't seem to affect the plants.

moulds also grow in specific pH ranges, dust your surface with a bit of sulphur, baking soda (sodium bi-carbonate) or better yet potassium bi-carbonate (used in wine making) as it'll also fertilise and kill the mould spores.

Back