• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question : Do you guys think these will come back?

Here are some plants from last season.
Over winter they started losing leaves and looking like this.
Some people say they are dead, and some say they'll be back, and some same it depends on the plant.
Does anyone have an answer, or any advice how to get the best results?

Here is what most of my plants look like.
ed966f82.jpg

Here is the only one that's starting to come back.
a1b973f0.jpg

Those brown dried out branches are goners, but it looks like there may be some live stuff at the core of each of them. Check close up to see if there are any signs of new growth.

Chilli plats are perennials, you chop them back before winter & then they hibernate & grow back in spring.

There is a thread pinned at the top of this section on over wintering.

Mezo.

hmm alriight, I'll try that.
I live in SoCal. & it doesn't really get below 40.
Is that too cold for them?

i'm in LA too... just cut back the dry dead stuff... and that's it... they will grow back... i always prune before the cold kicks in... that way it all doesn't dry up and get all ugly...

don't stress over them...

+1 on cutting back the dark brown dead branches. 40˚ shouldn’t hurt them it just slows them down a tad. They prefer upper 70˚s to the mid 80˚s.

Most chile plants are "potentially perrenial" under certain conditions, when winter came I would pile hay or leaves around them and if it was a dry winter I would throw a lil water on them once in a while to keep the rootball moist and keep the freeze back and that would help them to come back in Spring. But if I left them totally exposed and allowed them to dry out they would perish. Also the deeper the roots were the better as far as coming back.

I have one Tepin plant I have had alive for over ten years, but it seems they are genetically easier to over-winter..

Good Luck

ps: one way I use to be able to tell how far to cut back was I would cut back until I started to see green tissue in the cross-section of the cuts, that would be the viable part of the plant.

i'm in LA too... just cut back the dry dead stuff... and that's it... they will grow back... i always prune before the cold kicks in... that way it all doesn't dry up and get all ugly...

don't stress over them...

alright, I'll try that out thank you.
+1 on cutting back the dark brown dead branches. 40˚ shouldn’t hurt them it just slows them down a tad. They prefer upper 70˚s to the mid 80˚s.

yeah, I'll get that done.

Most chile plants are "potentially perrenial" under certain conditions, when winter came I would pile hay or leaves around them and if it was a dry winter I would throw a lil water on them once in a while to keep the rootball moist and keep the freeze back and that would help them to come back in Spring. But if I left them totally exposed and allowed them to dry out they would perish. Also the deeper the roots were the better as far as coming back.

I have one Tepin plant I have had alive for over ten years, but it seems they are genetically easier to over-winter..

That's really good information for this upcoming winter, I'll try that out. thank you.

Good Luck

ps: one way I use to be able to tell how far to cut back was I would cut back until I started to see green tissue in the cross-section of the cuts, that would be the viable part of the plant.

Back