• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Question from novice indoor grower

Hi there
I've grown outside quite a few times (not peppers) so I do have some horticultural experience. I'm now getting into indoor growing due to our weather.
Anyway, I have just started some ghost pepper seeds In a heated propagator and have a 250watt CFL blue lamp and reflector.
My house is fairly cool, it's winter here, so can I just leave my heat on the propagator while they outgrow the pots they are in? They will be under the 250 watt lamp then onto a window sill until things warm up here.
The lamp is fairly bright, but doesn't chuck out the heat like sodium lamps so I guess it's ok to put it close to the plants? I know they like the sun so should be ok right?
Cheers all

Are rule of thumb, if you can stick your hand on top of the plant, and it stays cools, the light is good, But when your hand starts getting warm than it getting to close.

So in nut shell, get it where you can feel a litlte heat, but enought where you can leave your hand there for 3-minutes and it dont feel like its on fire.

Hi thanks for the info I wanted to stay away from sodium lamps due to my 2 kids and a dog that are too curious and end up with burnt fingers or burnt wet nose :-)
Got to look at a little glass house really as we can't rely on the summers here in the UK and I am a little limited for space indoors. I'll be logging everything in a diary so hopefully I'll get it right. I've grown corn, and beans outside but they do well in our climate unlike plants native to India etc! Growing indoors is a new thing for me so I'm looking forward to the next few months. Just going to soil grow at first then maybe look into a hydroponics set up. Thanks for the info I've been looking through all the other forum posts and this is a great community nice to meet you all

Back