• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Question on Germinating

So I'm fairly new at growing peppers from seed and have been using the Deli Container with Paper Towel method. When exactly is it fine to move the seeds from Deli Container to pots? I have some seeds that are germinating and already have their set of leaves, the only problem is the leaves seem to be yellow and they haven't opened up yet, are they past their time or do they still need more time? Can I just move the seeds to pots once I see they have their tails without their leaves? Thanks.

You can put them into soil as soon as the root shows out of the seed. I keep mine in plastic baggies until the root is about half an inch long, I have sometimes waited until the leaves came out, but I just found it harder to put in the soil without damaging the root.

backyard pepper has it correct. I use the plastic container method as well, and I transfer the germinated seed as soon as I see the little white root tip emerge. At that stage it is easy to lift the seed on the tip of a knife and gently put it in a 1/4 inch deep hole with the root tip facing down.

I skip the paper towel and just put seeds into soil. Keep moist, not wet, not dry. Seeds will sprout in 7-14 days. I have around 90% success with this

i don't know why people try to grow peppers thinking they are growing weed. 

germinating seeds on towel papper is a thing people do for growing pot because the seeds have a tough outer shell and are harder to germinate because of the shell, or another reason for per-sprouting is for when growing in different mediums where direct sowing is difficult (grow pebbles, etc).

pepper seeds are tiny and more delicate. there is more chance of screw ups when not putting directly in soil.

the only time i will sprout a pepper seed outside of soil is when i am growing outside of soil.. hydroponically and using pebbles.

The reason I start seeds on paper in a plastic take out container is because I know with certainty if the seed germinates. I have very limited space for peppers in January, and I don't want to waste room with 6-packs of soil that contain seeds that don't germinate. Also, a 6-pack that has fewer than six plants in it is a waste of space. I don't know what your germination success rate is, but very often the seeds I get in trades (or even my own seeds) have quite a bit less than 100%. When growing directly in soil you have to wait longer before you can be sure that the seed isn't going to make it and you have to start a new batch of seeds.

I can put about a half dozen small plastic containers on a dinner plate and keep them at a nice toasty temperature near the wood stove in my living room. I get a little aggravation from my wife for doing this, but she'd hit the roof if I tried to put a half dozen 6-packs near the stove.

The procedure I posted above is quick and easy and I don't have screw ups. Also, there isn't much gardening I can do in January, so I don't mind playing around with transplanting from the paper towel to the soil. However, I do catch a lot of grief from my wife for spending so much time fussing over my little seedlings.

I like using the jiffy pellets. Its like one and done. And if you don't see them after a few days to a week, then your probably not going to see them. Not sure why people get fixated on seeing them sprout. They will hook out of the soil or peat pellet not more than a couple days after you see the root emerge from the seed. And then you already have a plant that has its roots in an actual growing medium instead of a paper towel. Less stress on the plant and the delicate roots. It's like your going to have to plant the seedling at some point. So why not just do that from the start.

The reason people, including myself, a long-time chile grower, use wet paper towels is because it works. Way more variables to control if you germinate in dirt.

I use the paper towel method. I plant the seeds once I can see the root popping out of the seed. This method has always worked just fine for me. I can have 20 ziplocks with paper towels full of seeds germinating in one tiny area, then plant them once the seed sprouts.

I use coffee filters in deli containers and soil.The deli container method is a space saver for sure.Honestly dont see any advantage using either method except space saving

I use seed starter soil and mini pots. 6 to a section water slightly every 2-3 days with a spray bottle amd keep it covered with plastic wrap. Also keep a heating pad under it to keep the soil nice and warm :-) seems to do the trick for me. Also allows for easy transplanting into the solo cups.

Back