• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Question on green bells

They are green. Like all peppers they come in all variety of colors when ripe. Some greens will change colors as they ripen, I have even heard they all change eventually, I cannot confirm that. I have green bells this year so I will find out for myself. Like jalapenos, ripe when green and still change to red.

You can have over 5 different types of green bells. considering the different types of bells. Red,orange,yellow,chocolate,purple,etc they all will have a slightly different flavor. But if you are looking for a good kind of bell. Totally Tomatoes.com have one called "The super heavy weight pepper" It is a hybrid but can produce up to 1 pound fruits. But yes if you want a green bell to turn the color that it is destant to be. Leave on the plant. they will not ripe when picked.
AND YOU CANT HARVEST SEEDS FROM A GREEN BELL. no matter what type of bell it will always change color when ripe.
Here is "The Super Heavy Weight Pepper"
super.jpg

You can see it gets very large

There are some rare bells that ripen green. I think one is called staysgreen or similar
Still best to pick freshly ripe but pods will continue to ripen after they are picked, especially with the paper bag trick. Its ethylene gass that is responsible for ripening/rotting. Also best to take seeds from ripe pods and not green

There are dozens of strains of green bells, some of which don't even have a proper name just a number. Most that you get at the supermarket *around here* will (would have) eventually ripen to a red color but a darker red, a different pepper than the red bells you buy at the supermarket which turn red significantly earlier in their development.

Back