• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Questions about Bonchi - picture in post

IMG_20180812_160734900_HDR - ANNOTATED.jpg

I marked this up, it's not super great - but I wanted to ask to see if anyone thought I was on the right track. This plant is two weeks or so short of 6 months old and I'm planning to cut it down and keep it as a bonchi this winter. I have the Fatalii book on order but I'm still waiting to get it. Anyways, it's a really fat habanero, and I'm excited to see how it makes the transition. Close to two inches thick at the widest point. I'm looking to expose roots now so that they get some bark like on them, so I moved the mulch back there. I drew red lines where my sense I'd want to trim it at - I've got one of those like knockoff wacom tablets to markup stuff like that, anyways, like am I wildly off base? Other features include a hole from a broken branch ("character") off the main trunk and a heavy lean to one side. Hope people can give me some guidance - I'm going to be doing this as my first real foray into bonsai, as well, so that's a whole nother set of things to think about.

I am no expert by any means. But, I would make my cuts above at least one node on the branches. All future growth will start at a node from the past. Looks like you have marked below the nodes.

CAPCOM said:
I am no expert by any means. But, I would make my cuts above at least one node on the branches. All future growth will start at a node from the past. Looks like you have marked below the nodes.
Ok, neat, thanks for that - I'm just getting back into gardening this year and I'm really thankful for any tips. That is a really good one, I'll keep it in mind. I took a basic plant biology class back a few years so I know some terminology like 'nodes', I dig what you're saying about future growth. Very neat. I'm excited because I have about 80 plants to choose bonchi material from, and I'm not sure how many I'll want to try to keep. Take care - peace 

Back