• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Questions on First Grow Setup

I added a second light to my setup this morning because the outside plants in the 72 cell tray were turning inward to reach the light. I thought I would post my setup and ask a couple of questions. Any suggestions for helping me stay on the right path are appreciated.

Thanks to all the good information on this site, my plan to date is below:
  • Hot Peppers started two weeks ago in 72 cell domed tray: Standard Orange Habanero, Bishop's Cap, Chocolate Habanero (gift from my daughter, it is all her fault that I am having all this fun), Bhut Jolokia, Hot Cherry, Big Sun Habanero.
  • Planter's Pride seed starter mix.
  • Heating mat with temp controller. Set to 85F with probe inserted into the soil of a middle cell. Basement is 65F.
  • Styrofoam Insulation covered with mylar (emergency blanket).
  • Lights = 6500 32W T8 (now four bulbs total). I was about 2" above the seedlings. Now it looks closer to 4-5" depending on seedling height. Lights are on a timer 18hr on/ 6hr off.
  • Bottom watering with distilled water. I started using 1/2 strength of Miracle Grow Quick Start.
  • Fan on low setting just wiggles the plants a little bit. I started using it 3x per day for 1/2hr at a time.
  • Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic Mix for repotting into 3.5" square containers. I plant to repot when second set of full leaves are out (soon for standard orange habanero).
  • The plan is to plant after Memorial day in my dad's garden and I will take over one or more of my wife's flower gardens (with her permission of course).
Questions:
  • When do I stop using the heating mat? Is 65F ok for growing the seedlings in my basement?
  • Should my lights be closer to the seedlings?
  • Some have suggested adding bone meal. Is that when you repot? Or when you plant outside?

Hot Pepper Grow Setup1 by bigfan1403, on Flickr

Hot Pepper Grow Setup2 by bigfan1403, on Flickr

Looks like you are well on your way, Fizz! Your grow routine is very similar to my own.
I grow in my garage under T8's, too. The day temps are 67-69F and the nights down to 58-62F. Under the lights with reflective foil draped over making a grow tent, the temps are mid to upper 70's. So far so good. I think they need some temp variation from what my indoor gardening buddies say, so a little cooler at night doesn't seem to harm them. Below a certain temp they will drop flowers, but you don't have to worry that one yet : )

The T8 lights won't burn the plants even at an inch away. I keep mine about 1-2" up to 5" for new transplants and even a little higher for new clones.

Bone meal takes a while to break down in the soil, so what I'm going to do is work it into my containers about 3 or 4 weeks before I plant out in May, and let it break down a little. In the meantime, I use a CalMag supplement in my fert routine, for the plants I have in small pots. They are all about 6-7 weeks along at this point.

If you are not doing so, you might consider a foil tent to hold in heat and reflect the light back. Otherwise, sounds like you are all good!

Good looking setup! I think you can get by with that for a while. I may go a little closer with the lights...a couple inches is good. The height may be good for not, but as the plants grow keeping them a bit closer helps ensure some useful light reaches the lower leaves. You shouldn't need the heat mat unless germinating. The lights should keep them warm enough. if not you can add something to trap some of the heat. Like one of those mylar blankets draped over the setup with enough room for the fan to get to them when it kicks on. You can add the bone meal now or later at pot up...good luck!

Shane

How did I know that when I saw the reply added message pop up it would be you Paul?

Thanks for the feedback.

I lowered the lights by extending the chains with homemade links. I also added another layer of styrofoam. So now back to about 2". I removed the heat mat and left the probe to monitor what temperature the soil stabilizes without it. I do have another piece of mylar covered styrofoam that I lean up against the front light. This kind of creates a tent and still allows an airflow tunnel.

Back