• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Questions, questions, questions

I am soo happy this forum exists! I'm growing cherry peppers and Italian long hots and they're about two weeks away from the anticipated transplant date for my zone. I'm so close yet so far and I have many questions...

1. What's the actual name for Italian long hots? I brought the seed from home in upstate New York and that's all I've ever heard them called...
2. Plants are starting to look great and they have many buds. I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not to remove the first round of buds so the plant can put all of its energy into rooting, but mine are in clear containers and their root bulbs look really thick. I don't want to jump the gun on this but the thought of taking off all of those buds is really sad. What do you guys think?
3. I live in an apartment with no garden space. My hypothetical solution to this major problem is to buy a cheap bookshelf or two on Craigslist to use as a makeshift row planter that can, if necessary, be relocated with the help of several strong men to a more friendly yard depending on whether or not my landlord notices my possibly guerrilla garden. I've read that standard separation is 18" and that sounds doable, but how deep do the roots go? Any advice on what type of soil to use? I've read sandy and well draining is best but I'm on a bit of a budget..can I get free fill on Craigslist too and mix with sand or is this gardening myth?
4. I've noticed a few fruit flies on the soil..research suggests this is an annoyance rather than a problem. Agreed?
5. Since I'm growing two types of peppers, does anyone have any recommendations on the proper distance for preventing cross pollination?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Welcome to the forum I had the same happiness when i found this forum so welcome. I'm fairly new but I'll try help out with some of the questions. New York is a bit far away so I won't be able to help you with that.
2.Need to know the size of the plants and/or pots really to know if you should be knocking the buds off and maybe going up a pot size or if you're happy with the size let it produce. I'm not sure but I think most people would steer clear from clear pots? That's just me thinking that roots don't like sunlight and may effect production but don't take that as gospel
3. Is there any reason you want to plant in rows rather than just growing in pots. Pots are good and I'm even having to use them while my garden is shaded through winter with good results. On soil there is a really good sticky on the types to use which could be good to look at, takes a bit of time to read through but its good info.
4. I've always had plenty of tomatoes for fruit flies to attack and haven't noticed them attack anything else for me.
5. If space is an issue you can isolate the flowers using a bag of some description like a paper bag. But in most instances cross-pollination shouldn't be much of an issue as chilli plants are self-polinating so unless they are growing into eachother it will probably be fine.

People can feel free to correct me haha.

For #1, I found this on Google: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/22992-long-italian-hot-pepper/

For #3, if you go with one of those plastic bookshelf types that you put together, it makes for easier disassembly and moving, plus you only have to use as many shelves as you need. I got a 4 shelf unit, that is actually being used as 4 seperate little tables outside at the moment. Personally though, I would go with pots too. Easier to move around and you can adjust where they are if you find they don't get adequate light or whatnot.

For #5, a good breeze could get pollen floating around, so there may be a little risk. It may be rare, but if you want to be sure, you can try pollinating them yourself (q-tip, small paintbrush etc), and cover the flower or plant until the fruit sets (keep the fruit marked with a ribbon tied loosely or something, so you know which it is). I've seen several posts dealing with this, both here and elsewhere that may help. Google should help find more in-depth info.

Hope that helps some :)

2. If they are large podded annuum varieties, and plants are still small then pluck buds/flowers or they will outweigh your plant
4. Are they fruit flies or maybe fungus gnats?
5. 1.5, miles but other isolation techniques are available

Back