• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Quick chocolate Bhut question

My plants are all finally turning after 5-6weeks. My chocolate Bhuts are turning bright red. Do chocolates turn red then chocolate? These are not dark red at all look like plain red bhuts?

I'll post pics tomorrow but sounds like I'm certain they are red not chocolate. I received the seeds from a member on here I guess they were labeled wrong.

Could be labeled wrong, how many plants do you have going? Could also be that the genetics reverted back to the red color. I think the general consensus is that the chocolate is a natural variation of the red. Pretty unlikely scenario but still another possibility.

Might be a choc. bhut crossed with ?? I've a choc. jamaican crossed with a red hab growing this year. Pods are the right shape but slightly smaller and all red.

Could also be that the genetics reverted back to the red color. I think the general consensus is that the chocolate is a natural variation of the red. Pretty unlikely scenario but still another possibility.
Not that unlikely. Assuming chocolate is dominant, you cross a chocolate with a red and you get a chocolate bhut.

25% of all that bhut's seeds will be red bhuts instead of chocolate.

Not that unlikely. Assuming chocolate is dominant, you cross a chocolate with a red and you get a chocolate bhut.

Agreed, in the event that it was a cross. Even the chocolate didn't cross and it self pollinated there would be a slight chance of it variating to the red color. I don't know which genes are dominant or recessive, and I don't claim to know much about genetics really.

This is what makes this hobby so great. You think you know what you have for months and then BAM!!! You're wrong. :rofl:

I think this is false, brown color should be the result of 2 genes cl and y+.

y+ is dominant to y and on its own produces red pods where as yy would result in yellow pods.

On top of this background the cl gene is recessive to W, where only clcl produces brown pods. Therefore a true breeding brown plant must be y+y+clcl.

In the most likely case it would have been crossed with a red pod plant, which should have the wild type gene at the cl locus so it would be y+y+WW

In this case all offspring should be y+y+Wcl, which are all red pod plants that are carriers for the brown gene.

If your curious, you could self the plant and see if it gives you 25% brown pod offspring, but it might just be less work to get someone to send you new seed stock

Sure, if you're gonna go with all that "previous knowledge of the subject" and such.... ;)

I just crafted a model from the available data, I was waiting on funding to study it.

Glad to have it explained by somebody with apparent actual knowledge on the topic though =]

No apology needed. I actually do find it interesting to find out more about plant genetics than what I can guess based on a basic understanding of Mendelian genetics =]

Back