• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Quick overwatering/fertz question.

Ok, if i'm correct, yellowing from the bottom and working it's way up is ferts. And yellowing all over is overwatering? Just generally speaking, i know there's alot more that goes into determining problems. . .

As a very rough guide that's true, but yellowing and dropping lower leaves can also be from not enough light. Fert problems will also show up all over the plant depending on the imbalance. Nitrogen (N or the first number on a bottle of fertilizers) is what will cause the lower leaves to yellow and drop, from the bottom up. Others will show up mid-plant or at the top, so that's a very rough guide. To make it even more complicated, fert problems don't necessarily mean there aren't enough, they can be locked up with other minerals, pH or because of over/under watering.

So like I said, as a very rough guide that's true but it's really not the simple.

With over watering the leaves will also usually droop down as the lack of oxygen from too much water starves them. A good rule of thumb for watering potted plants is to hold a dry pot in one hand and a wet in the other, there's a significant difference between them. You'll quickly learn which need watering based on their weight. It's best to let your pots dry between waterings to encourage root growth, the more often they're watered the smaller/weaker the roots will be.

Back