• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Quick question about mulberry/blackberry trees

Well I'm not sure why it took me so long to notice it, but my next door neighbor has either a mulberry or blackberry tree hanging over his fence and down into my yard.  I think it would be awesome if I could take a clipping from it and grow one of these trees in my own yard.  Anyone know how I would go about doing this? I've heard it can be done but I personally have never done anything like it.

You should look up air-layering, it's a way of preparing a clone on a hard woody plant while it's still on the plant. Basically you scrape away some outer layer of bark, pack wet peat moss around it & wrap it up in plastic then foil to block light & leave it on the tree for awhile until it grows roots. Then you make a cut just below the root ball & plant your new tree.

Don't see why it wouldn't work on mulberries, they're not typically grafted like a lot of other fruit trees. Mulberries are awesome they're just messy.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkind/landscape/air-layering/

TXCG said:
You should look up air-layering, it's a way of preparing a clone on a hard woody plant while it's still on the plant. Basically you scrape away some outer layer of bark, pack wet peat moss around it & wrap it up in plastic then foil to block light & leave it on the tree for awhile until it grows roots. Then you make a cut just below the root ball & plant your new tree.

Don't see why it wouldn't work on mulberries, they're not typically grafted like a lot of other fruit trees. Mulberries are awesome they're just messy.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkind/landscape/air-layering/
Looks easy enough, think I'll have to give it a shot.  Thanks!

i have large raspberries and haven't had luck with cloning by clippings. only by transplanting by getting at the roots. surprised they haven't suckered into your yard yet. had a neighbour plant some along our fence line and it wasn't long before i had raspberries - but i dug those up and tossed them, they were small crappy berries and at the time my girls were young and i didn't want them getting stuck with the thorns. i now have the big fat juicy variety.

i am in the process of relocating my plants, so i currently have them in rooting bags.

why not just ask your neighbour if you can snag a few, this type of plant can be very difficult to contain and can be high maintenance, especially as stalks die off and new stalks grow, leaving large dead thistle beds. they are almost as annoying as strawberries.

hope you get your plants, good luck.

Just snag some berries off the branch when absolutely ripe. (protect them from birds, or they will get there first)

I have the bushy type mulberry, though over 12' tall, and have to trim it evey fall.
You have to get the fruit on exactly the right couple days, or the birds will.

If it is a bad year for the birds, they will get them before they are ripe.

My neighbor has 3 growing  in a small area that she NEVER goes out to and has even fenced that piece off. I have full access to them. Quite tasty to say the least

There's a mulberry bush ("tree") on our property and if it's hanging over your fence the ripe berries will fall all over the place and I found they germinate very easily.  I found myself pulling them out of my pepper pots and garden bed fairly often.  They were easy to recognize because the seedlings would come up in clumps (probably 20 seeds in each berry)

Back