gadgets Quick question about PH meter

I just recieved my Ph meter and it says that my water is at 7.4. Could this be accurate or should I boil the water first? It says not to use bottled water or unironized water so I figured tap should be fine. But if average water is 7.01 I thought either boiling or calibrating it.
Thanks,
Aaron

I believe you are supposed to use distilled water with a pH meter. Tap water can contain chlorines, fluorides, etc from municipal water systems and natural minierals/irons from wells which can affect the readings.

To calibrate it, you should use buffering solutions, one at 4.0pH and one at 7.0pH. The (not too expensive) Hannah meter I have has 2 tiny calibrating screws on it, one for each pH.
And you should always store the probe in the buffering solution.

Can I get these solutions at a local garden shop, or should I just get them online? Do I store in the solution even when I might not use it but every few weeks to a month? Or can I put them in the solution prior to use?
Thanks,
Aaron

Hydro shop for sure, but a garden center may have the calibration fluids
use distilled water for rinsing it off.

Thanks SL and Justaguy. I'll be getting those today and start making my sauce. Hopefully I can have it ready before the NWCF this Saturday for some critism from the more experienced sauce makers there.
Thanks again,
Aaron

to answer your other question, the glass of the probe must be stored in the buffer solution at all times. Mine has a little rubber cap that I put a few drops of solution in and then put it over the tip of the probe.

looking forward to trying your sauce.

Can I get these solutions at a local garden shop, or should I just get them online?

You can find the various Hanna solutions (calibration solution - get both high and low - and the storage fluid) in a "combo" deal at Amazon.com. The small (2-3 oz?) bottle will last for several years.

Calibrate the meter per directions at first use, then every couple of weeks or so (if in regular use) afterwards. I find that the meter stays pretty close as long as it is stored properly. I rinse off my probe after every use in running water than, as mentioned, put a couple drops in the probe tip cap for storage. Mine has been used several times a week over the last two years and has only required occasional adjustment.

Barry

You can find the various Hanna solutions (calibration solution - get both high and low - and the storage fluid) in a "combo" deal at Amazon.com. The small (2-3 oz?) bottle will last for several years.

Calibrate the meter per directions at first use, then every couple of weeks or so (if in regular use) afterwards. I find that the meter stays pretty close as long as it is stored properly. I rinse off my probe after every use in running water than, as mentioned, put a couple drops in the probe tip cap for storage. Mine has been used several times a week over the last two years and has only required occasional adjustment.

Barry

My PH meter says to store wet in 20mL of solution, at that rate, a 2-3oz bottle would only last 3 or 4 uses, not several years.

After talking to the techs at Oakton, they recommend calibrating their testers daily. They are designed to hold the calibration for a 10hr work cycle. The local hydro store was only calibrating the same meters every coupla weeks, but if you are using it to test food, you really should try to be as accurate as possible.

I also want to point out that not all pH meters are equal, and not all pH meters are made by the same company and they may have, take and hold calibration differently. As with everything YMMV

Ahhh. Yeah I use mine while getting recipes where I want them and then for checkups. I always 2 point calibrate at 4.0 and 7.0 and rinse with distilled water.

I believe you are supposed to use distilled water with a pH meter. Tap water can contain chlorines, fluorides, etc from municipal water systems and natural minierals/irons from wells which can affect the readings.

To calibrate it, you should use buffering solutions, one at 4.0pH and one at 7.0pH. The (not too expensive) Hannah meter I have has 2 tiny calibrating screws on it, one for each pH.
And you should always store the probe in the buffering solution.
Which solution should I put in the cap? 4.0 or 7? I have a Hanna, also. The guy at the hydro shop said to stor it dry. The instruction say to use H170300 solution, but the hydro shop doesn't carry it. Thanks.

I use the 7 for storage. Following the directions that come with your meter is probably the best option.

Just a note- when ordering the buffer solutions, do not order the foil pouches, get a dropper bottle.

I use the Hanna Storage solution, which with the EcoTestr 2 will cause crystals to form/grow around the lip and out of the top of the storage cup. Nothing to be worried about.

Back