• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Quick question Can pepper rot on the plant ?

I appear to be losing lots and lots of peppers, from many different varieties of plants. The start changing color and the turn brown and wrinkly in areas... should i cut these off ? What is going on ? My total guess is because of how cold its been here in the PNW. This morning when i left the house at 4:45am it was 49 degrees.

-- Mega

Post a pic, please, so we can help more. Could be blossom end rot (BER), which usually starts at the blossom end (opposite of the stem) as a softening of the pod tissue. It will seem that the pod is wet inside at that area. Eventually, it turns brown and then black. BER is frequently caused by a calcium deficiency or a pH imbalance. A lot of people here use CalMag by Botanicare, with good results.

Some insects can cause fruit rot. Have you cut one open and checked for maggots/larvae/grubs?

I believe some fungi can cause fruit rot too.

Pics would definitely be a big help. ;)

My cayennes are turning a brownish color befotr going red
That's not unusual, and as long as the flesh is healthy, nothing to worry about.

Red and green are "compliments" of each other on the color wheel - if you look at a standard color wheel, you will see they are opposite of each other. When you mix two complimenting colors, something frequently called "Mouse Grey" results. The actual tone of Mouse Grey depends upon the particular two compliments mixed together. Most of them yield a brownish-grey color when mixing paints. In a pod, paints are not being mixed, but color still is, and the same color rules apply, albeit a tad differently - you have likely seen a pod that is green with a single red spot, for example. So each pod will ripen as it will, and some will go towards brown before becoming red.

Sound a lot like mosaic virus. Do a google image search for "brown wrinkly spots on peppers" then let us know how close that is to what you describe.

How much leaf cover is there on those peppers? Could also be sunscald.

Back