• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Quick question

I got some dry TS Morugas from a vendor (not from this forum), just wanted to use them in my own food prep. I decided to use the seeds to see if I can actually grow my own plants. Just wondering if these seeds will actually germinate, or am I wasting my time?

So if I understand you correctly.  You got some TS Moruga seeds from a vendor and intend to use the peppers in future food preps?  I would believe unless the seeds were subjected to really high temps they would be fine and germinate.  The seeds are normally dried after they are harvested from a pepper if they are going to be stored.  

I would suggest soaking the seeds in water for 6 hours to a day and planting them.  I believe they will germinate for you.  At least you can try and its early enough in the season to start over or replace them if need be.  

FireEater101 said:
So if I understand you correctly.  You got some TS Moruga seeds from a vendor and intend to use the peppers in future food preps?  I would believe unless the seeds were subjected to really high temps they would be fine and germinate.  The seeds are normally dried after they are harvested from a pepper if they are going to be stored.  

I would suggest soaking the seeds in water for 6 hours to a day and planting them.  I believe they will germinate for you.  At least you can try and its early enough in the season to start over or replace them if need be.  
Ok, let me clarify. I got dried pods, intended for use in my food. I was wanting to use the seeds from those pods to start a few plants. With that being said, thank u guys for answering my question. I guess the next question is, how long do these seeds take to germinate? I did soak them for about an hour, along with seeds from dry Caribbean Reds that I have and planted them on the 4th of this month. The reds have already popped out of the ground, while the Morugas have not.

Lucifer said:
Ok, let me clarify. I got dried pods, intended for use in my food. I was wanting to use the seeds from those pods to start a few plants. With that being said, thank u guys for answering my question. I guess the next question is, how long do these seeds take to germinate? I did soak them for about an hour, along with seeds from dry Caribbean Reds that I have and planted them on the 4th of this month. The reds have already popped out of the ground, while the Morugas have not.

I wanna say that I remember hearing that sometimes seeds from peppers that are dried like that don't germinate but as you can see your CR have sprouted.  The TS Moruga is a Cap Chinense and they take awhile longer to germinate.  I would say it could take up to 30 days until you see them sprout.  I planted 7 Pots and TS 11 days ago 16 seeds and only have 1 hook so far.  All you can do now is wait and see what they do but I will still say they germinate just going to take longer.  

the hotter the pepper the usually longer it takes to germinate, dont be surprised at over 2 weeks (so 5+ days from now)

Ok, that's a relief. I just didn't feel like buying a bunch of seeds to be able to plant only 2 or 3 of them. I don't have much room on my balcony to grow more than a few plants, so I figured let me utilize what I already have. Thanks for the answers guys, looks like there is hope for these Morugas after all.

neoguy said:
Actually, they could take well over a month to germinate, some could take close to 2 months.
I guess I'll wait and see , but with your responses it does sound promising. Thank u guys

Back