• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Quick Review of Some Lucky Dog Hot Sauces

After buying a couple of bottles of Lucky Dog's sauces at the NYC Hot Sauce Expo I decided to place another order to try out Dia Del Perro and re-up on the pink and black bottles.  After USPS losing my first package he had another package ready to go and got to me Monday.   :party:

Pink sauce: After opening the bottle you're hit with a sweet and smokey smell.  Taking the first taste you get that smoked flavor and a sharp initial heat that I've always attributed to habaneros that travels through your entire mouth and slowly dissipates as it works to the back of the throat.  It's a really nice, thick sauce that coats the mouth and leaves that smokey and fruity flavor behind.

Black sauce: A bright roasted vegetal smell with a bit of sweetness but less fruity smell than pink sauce.  The apple sauce and figs give this a sweet taste and the scorpions give this a slower build up of heat that lasts longer than the pink sauce and has a nice even burn throughout the mouth.  This sauce is definitely the thinnest of the three 

Dia Del Perro:  Grassy roasted smell with a bit of tartness towards the end.  Not much sweetness at the beginning of tasting the sauce, really get the flavor of the serrano and it moves towards a little tart tomatillo flavor.  For some reason I get a faint taste that reminds me of unsweetened chocolate right at the end, very nice.  Not much heat in this sauce, but a really solid sauce.  

All in all, every sauce I've had has been nothing short of amazing and will be working my way through the rest of the product line-up in the future.  

-DeBo

:woohoo:

So glad you enjoyed them DeBo! Thanks again for your order & for the great feedback.

The taste in the Dia might be the Alderwood smoke - it's very subtle. :cheers:

DeBo said:

After buying a couple of bottles of Lucky Dog's sauces at the NYC Hot Sauce Expo I decided to place another order to try out Dia Del Perro and re-up on the pink and black bottles.  After USPS losing my first package he had another package ready to go and got to me Monday.   :party:

Pink sauce: After opening the bottle you're hit with a sweet and smokey smell.  Taking the first taste you get that smoked flavor and a sharp initial heat that I've always attributed to habaneros that travels through your entire mouth and slowly dissipates as it works to the back of the throat.  It's a really nice, thick sauce that coats the mouth and leaves that smokey and fruity flavor behind.

Black sauce: A bright roasted vegetal smell with a bit of sweetness but less fruity smell than pink sauce.  The apple sauce and figs give this a sweet taste and the scorpions give this a slower build up of heat that lasts longer than the pink sauce and has a nice even burn throughout the mouth.  This sauce is definitely the thinnest of the three 

Dia Del Perro:  Grassy roasted smell with a bit of tartness towards the end.  Not much sweetness at the beginning of tasting the sauce, really get the flavor of the serrano and it moves towards a little tart tomatillo flavor.  For some reason I get a faint taste that reminds me of unsweetened chocolate right at the end, very nice.  Not much heat in this sauce, but a really solid sauce.  

All in all, every sauce I've had has been nothing short of amazing and will be working my way through the rest of the product line-up in the future.  

-DeBo

I got sent a couple of bottles in a RedditGifts exchange a while back ... I got the black and the purple I think ... and they were both absolutely awesome ... my wife stole the purple one off me though 8-)

Back