• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Quick Simple Rippening Question

So out of 6 Cayenne plants I have 2 peppers that are ripe. What I am wondering is this. Is there such a thing as leaving a ripe pepper on the plant for to long? Im just trying to figure out if I have to take them off one by one as the ripen or if I can just wait until the whole plant (or close to it) is ripe to start pulling peppers off.

Pick them as, or before they ripen and it will encourage the plant to produce more. If you leave them too long they will lose heat and eventually get mushy and rot

Yeah I was kind of figuring something like that. So then should they go directly into the freezer or is the fridge fine for a little bit?

Actually with cayennes you should be alright at room temp, they usually air-dry very well but freezing is another option.

So out of 6 Cayenne plants I have 2 peppers that are ripe. What I am wondering is this. Is there such a thing as leaving a ripe pepper on the plant for to long? Im just trying to figure out if I have to take them off one by one as the ripen or if I can just wait until the whole plant (or close to it) is ripe to start pulling peppers off.
I'm just going to comment on the first sentence... You live in a cooler location, your peppers are going to ripen later than others. Since they are now starting to ripen all I can say is get ready, because they usually all start ripening pretty fast. 6 plants should keep you busy.

The first time I grew Super Chili's (4 plants) I was swamped with peppers. They just sat there green doing nothing for a few weeks and all of a sudden they exploded. LOL
I was dehydrating, stringing, pickling, chopping, freezing, grinding and packing for over a week before they slowed down.

would you leave habaneros at room temp after picking, potawie?
I always leave mine at room temp and they usually can last a little more than a week. I'm not sure if refrigeration will increase shelf life, I know tomatoes are best not refrigerated.
Habs and other chinenses will not air-dry very well unless maybe you live in a very dry climate

Back