• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Quickest easiest method of protecting garden peppers from water.....

So I'm already thinking about next year and how to improve from my mistakes from this year. I have all my chiles in containers but next year I want to put a lot in my garden where my lettuce, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, eggplant, cucumbers, and spinach are. I water my garden almost everyday with a water thrower(sprinkler).

What would be the easiest method to cover only my pepper plants so that they don't get watered everyday?

Would the entire plant to the ground need to be covered or only the soil around the main stem?

A quick process that I could cover and uncover in a couple of mins before and after every watering.

I know STUPID question but Im curious because I have the room and plan to put over winterized plants in the garden since I don't want to deal with enormous pots.

Although it is definitely possible to overwater plants, if you are not overwatering the others then the peppers should be fine with daily watering. If it is not dry/hot enough that they need daily watering then the others probably don't need it either. Water deeper instead of more often.
Also, larger overwintered plants may need more water, not less than a smaller plant of another type.

Regardless if you want to reduce the water they receive you can put down plastic skirts on the ground around each plant, or if you want the ground around them to dry out faster then mulch around everything except the peppers, but especially then you may not need to water so often as once a day. Another option is to place the peppers at the end of the garden bed in a row such that they only receive a little bit from the sprinkler, though this requires precise sprinkler positioning and a consistent water pressure for the same throwing distance each time, or adjust the distance of the sprinkler when you see how far it's throwing.

Overwatering plants in the ground is most common when there is excessive rain. Using a sprinkler because it hasn't rained enough makes it a lot less likely though not impossible.

I watered every veggie in garden daily in the beginning and at most 3 days with no watering. My tomatoes are beautiful so I know I never over watered them. Maybe I'll just treat next year peppers the same and see what's happens then.

Regardless if you want to reduce the water they receive you can put down plastic skirts on the ground around each plant,

Overwatering plants in the ground is most common when there is excessive rain. Using a sprinkler because it hasn't rained enough makes it a lot less likely though not impossible.

Dave2000 are the plastic skirts meant to be there permanently all season long or can they be removed or put back as needed through out the season?

I've never seen plastic skirts before, do they sell them or are they made at home?

I should mention I have my entire garden already covered with architectural landscape liner ( to stop the weeds ) stuff is very durable and it's a dark gray which attracts the sun and keeps the soil warm. I also put mulch around each plant as well.

Since it is for next year here are some of my thoughts...

Maybe go for a soaker hose zone system. With a Y,or even the ones with more than 2.
I don't know if anyone has done this for in ground,but I bet it could work. The drip system,and they have so many DIY,and cheap buys,surely you could find a deal!
Stop by Alabama Jack's glog(only one I have seen post images),and check out what he does with a drip system combined with ferts. Fertigation

You can be EXACT if you set it up right. Again this is a zoning type water system. Which is what "I want to water here,but not here" sounds like to me. You want to zone off portions of your garden.

I watered every veggie in garden daily in the beginning and at most 3 days with no watering. My tomatoes are beautiful so I know I never over watered them. Maybe I'll just treat next year peppers the same and see what's happens then.

Dave2000 are the plastic skirts meant to be there permanently all season long or can they be removed or put back as needed through out the season?

I've never seen plastic skirts before, do they sell them or are they made at home?

The skirt is usually a roll of plastic 3' to 6' wide and as long as the garden row the plants you want skirted are in. You lay down the plastic, pokes holes in it only large enough to get the plants (or seed) in the ground. For cooler roots pick a light color not dark or transparent. It may take some hunting around to find it in short(er) lengths to keep the cost reasonable. Since it is entirely around the plant stem before the plant bushes out in all directions above the hole in the plastic, it can't be non-destructively removed while the plants are still there above the first fork in their stems.

I wouldn't bother with that yet though, next year I'd try watering in greater volume but less often and water them all the same amount.

The skirt is usually a roll of plastic 3' to 6' wide and as long as the garden row the plants you want skirted are in. You lay down the plastic, pokes holes in it only large enough to get the plants (or seed) in the ground. For cooler roots pick a light color not dark or transparent. It may take some hunting around to find it in short(er) lengths to keep the cost reasonable. Since it is entirely around the plant steam before the plant bushes out in all directions above the hole in the plastic, it can't be non-destructively removed while the plants are still there above the first fork in their stems.

I wouldn't bother with that yet though, next year I'd try watering in greater volume but less often and water them all the same amount.

Sounds good buddy. I'll definitely just water them like everything else. I'm sure they'll turn out better than any this year in my pots. I appreciate all the helpful info.

Back