• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Quotes of Interest...

WarrantMan

Extreme Member
I am among many things - a cop, hot sauce maker, vintner, writer, poet, historian and accomplished beer drinker. 

Having said all that, knowing what I know and knowing how little I really know, I offer a subject for worldwide contribution here on THP. I am a fan of "quotes." Words of wisdom or otherwise "pearls" of knowledge from others. Intellectual or witty, it matters not.

To start, my offering:

"Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid"  John Wayne

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very low crime rate".
– Marion Barry, Mayor of Washington, D.C.

What say you folks of THP?

One of my all time faves:

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
~Mark Twain (one of the greatest authors of all time IMO)

Great thread WM! We used to have a quotes/inspirational thread here until some chuckle heads started to argue philosophy and got it shut down. Hopefully this one will stay positive and argument free because I love the topic!
:cheers:

dragonsfire said:

Shakespear.

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts.

it looks like Rush lifted a little bit of that for their Limelight song. just an observation. YMMV

All the world's indeed a stage,
And we are merely players,
Performers and portrayers,
Each another's audience
Outside the gilded cage.

Straying from my own topic, but bears mentioning. I once saw spray painted on a wall in New York or New Jersey (time fades my memory) but the most profound phrase I'd ever seen in such a display. The irony is incredible and the author was anonymous but "kudos" to said dude.

All these years later.

In spray paint - from vivid memory  "Vandalism Sux." 

WarrantMan said:
Didn't know this had been floated before, but I appreciate the response! Let the knowledge flow..

luvemesump3pp3rz,

I'm a big fan of Franklin myself. 

“Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.”   Benjamin Franklin

Franklin literally had his hands in everything. he designed coinage. he invented the printer for printing books and i`m just skimming the surface here. he ended up on our paper money and coins because he was so integral to the forming of our country. he was amazing!  

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
let me add Ben Franklin was the first to print the Farmer`s Almanac. 

Franklin was indeed a great man. I've a copy somewhere, can't put my hands on it this moment, but there exists a letter he wrote to a (nephew I think) in the most eloquent of words, basically telling him of the "joys" that an "older woman" can bring to a "young man." He was a genius to be sure, but certainly had a pervy tint.  

"It is better to take many Injuries than to give one"   Benjamin Franklin

“A book is made from a tree. It is an assemblage of flat, flexible parts imprinted with dark pigmented squiggles. One glance at it and you hear the voice of another person—perhaps someone dead for thousands of years. Across the millennia, the author is speaking, clearly and silently, inside your head, directly to you. Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people, citizens of distant epochs, who never knew one another. Books break the shackles of time, proof that humans can work magic.”   Carl Sagan

WarrantMan said:

It was paraphrased from Aristotle - "Quality is not an act, it is a habit."  True nonetheless. 
Durant apparently wrote about Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, restating much of it in his own terms. That first quote is often attributed directly to Aristotle, which is actually what I had believed for awhile. I first heard about it because it is painted in the Boston Bruins locker room. In that form I figured proper attribution was to Durant because it wasn't direct translation.

Ashen said:
Durant apparently wrote about Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, restating much of it in his own terms. That first quote is often attributed directly to Aristotle, which is actually what I had believed for awhile. I first heard about it because it is painted in the Boston Bruins locker room. In that form I figured proper attribution was to Durant because it wasn't direct translation.

Cool, never knew that about Durant and the Bruins. That is an interesting story unto itself. Funny thing is that there are a few historians that believe Aristotle may have borrowed it from yet another Greek. The original phrase:

όλοι είμαστε είναι σκόνη στον άνεμο

"It is not the style of clothes one wears, neither the kind of automobile one drives, nor the amount of money one has in the bank, that counts. These mean nothing. It is simply service that measures success." George Washington Carver

also wanted to include George Washington Carvers favorite poem by: Edgar Albert Guest

EQUIPMENT

Figure it out for yourself, my lad,
You've all that the greatest of men have had,
Two arms, two hands, two legs, two eyes
And a brain to use if you would be wise.
With this equipment they all began,
So start for the top and say, "I can."

Look them over, the wise and great
They take their food from a common plate,
And similar knives and forks they use,
With similar laces they tie their shoes.
The world considers them brave and smart,
But you've all they had when they made their start.

You can triumph and come to skill,
You can be great if you only will.
You're well equipped for what fight you choose,
You have legs and arms and a brain to use,
And the man who has risen great deeds to do
Began his life with no more than you.

You are the handicap you must face,
You are the one who must choose your place,
You must say where you want to go,
How much you will study the truth to know.
God has equipped you for life, but He
Lets you decide what you want to be.

Courage must come from the soul within,
The man must furnish the will to win.
So figure it out for yourself, my lad.
You were born with all that the great have had,
With your equipment they all began,
Get hold of yourself and say: "I can."

--Edgar A. Guest

Back