misc Raffle tool needed

I'm planing to do a combination sale/raffle between dec 24th & January 7th - I'd like to combine the raffle with a sale, like "1 entry for every order of $20 or more"

As such I would need the ability to enter as many email addresses as possible and generate a random drawing from them that is verifiable.

Any suggestions? Free would be best. Thanks in advance !

You could try using this we site: http://www.random.org/

Otherwise you could create an Access table with an ID and email field. The ID field would be an auto-generated serial number. Then use the random function to generate a random number from within the range of ID values. Don't know if that's "verifiable" but it would be easy and correct. I could build it in a few minutes. Here's a link explaining the Access random function. Every language has this function.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/rnd-function-HA001228901.aspx

Ken

http://www.techonthenet.com/access/functions/numeric/rnd.php

Don't call it a raffle, interstate raffles are illegal for the most part and are usually for non-profits and require a permit, etc. If not fundraising for a charity you won't get the permit. Otherwise it is considered lottery. It's not a raffle anyway, a raffle is buying a ticket for a chance at a prize. This is buying a product so the chance is free. That is legal. Just don't say raffle. Say giveaway. Just FYO and CYA. ;)

The Hot Pepper said:
Don't call it a raffle, interstate raffles are illegal for the most part and are usually for non-profits and require a permit, etc. If not fundraising for a charity you won't get the permit. Otherwise it is considered lottery. It's not a raffle anyway, a raffle is buying a ticket for a chance at a prize. This is buying a product so the chance is free. That is legal. Just don't say raffle. Say giveaway. Just FYO and CYA. ;)
Thanks boss - much appreciated!
FeistyParrot said:
Or you could just pick a number ahead of time...i.e. order number 35 or 57 or 80 etc will be the winner.
We are also going to do a sale...a one day event...just working out the details and trying to decide which date would be best.
That method leads to questions about legitimacy. I need it to be verifiable.

I'm doing a 2-week event with a giveaway. Every purchase over $20 is entered, 1 entry per customer. Last thing I need is to ship 4 packages to the same place. Lol

Appreciate the suggestion.
Spork said:
Edited for momentary stupidity.
This may be useful:
http://www.malcolm.id.au/cgi-bin/pvrs.pl?
If not, I can probably write you something similar in C#.
This looks intriguing - I'll play with this and see what happens - I think it might work!
Ok - I played with it. I don't see how it's verifiable?

I also don't understand the 3rd/last data component - no matter what I put in there it tells me I end at least 4 more?

Hmm - I need something where I can enter the email addresses / names and have the results simultaneously emailed to all entries (listing names, masking emails)

Any ideas?
SanPatricio said:
An informative discussion on random selection and easy pick engine....
http://www.random.org/lists/
This one has potential. I like that it's time-stamped. Lends a bit of credibility. I could make the # 7 or something ahead of time then post the pic to my company FB page & email it too all entrants.

Would be better if it emailed everyone when I randomized - that would eliminate the possibility of any manipulation of the results page.

You could upload a file with all of the email addresses to a website(like googlenotes{think thats the name}) Then you could use a program that lets people watch your computerscreen(and record it), you would go to a website with a random number generator and have it select a number with people watching. People would have proof of you getting a random number AND they would have proof you didn't rearrange the email list because it will have an upload date

it also becomes an event people can watch when you do it that way.

spysee said:
You could upload a file with all of the email addresses to a website(like googlenotes{think thats the name}) Then you could use a program that lets people watch your computerscreen(and record it), you would go to a website with a random number generator and have it select a number with people watching. People would have proof of you getting a random number AND they would have proof you didn't rearrange the email list because it will have an upload date

it also becomes an event people can watch when you do it that way.
That's far more complex than I'm willing to do for a giveaway. lol

:rofl:

It really just sounds complex, the hardest part would be figuring out which program to use.

But another option would be to use a video camera to just film your screen and upload it like any other video to youtube. You could talk about your hotsauces and business in general before picking the number to make it more legit, so people dont think you just filmed the thing 10x until you got your buddies #

That's the risk.

There's a fantasy draft software site - you can enter up to 24 or 26 email addresses & it emails everyone simultaneously. You can't fake it because it'd email everyone every time you run it.

Everyone sees the names. Assuming I only get that many orders that would work great.

If not I can just divide the number of orders into groups of 24 or whatever - the #7s could go into a 2nd randomized and #1 would win. Maybe I'd do consolation prizes too for #2 & #3.

That should work
http://www.fftoolbox.com/draft_order_generator.cfm

Up to 32 people

That might work fine. I might just run the sale for a week.

You're way overthinking this, just pick the winner yourself. Draw from a hat or pick a random number. Done. Your customers trust you. What are you worried about? Someone crying foul? Tough luck. And that won't happen anyway.

You don't have to tell people how you chose the winner, you just have to say... the winner is... and that is that. I really don't care if you flipped a pancake and counted the chocolate chips.

The Hot Pepper said:
You're way overthinking this, just pick the winner yourself. Draw from a hat or pick a random number. Done. Your customers trust you. What are you worried about? Someone crying foul? Tough luck. And that won't happen anyway.

You don't have to tell people how you chose the winner, you just have to say... the winner is... and that is that. I really don't care if you flipped a pancake and counted the chocolate chips.
I've seen many things like this go south. All it takes is one person to question it and you're put in a horrible position if you can't prove how it was done.

So I prefer if it's as above board as possible, that's all. You might be right., but I'm going to try to find a way that's verifiable. :cheers:

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
This looks intriguing - I'll play with this and see what happens - I think it might work!
Ok - I played with it. I don't see how it's verifiable?

I also don't understand the 3rd/last data component - no matter what I put in there it tells me I end at least 4 more?

Hmm - I need something where I can enter the email addresses / names and have the results simultaneously emailed to all entries (listing names, masking emails)

Any ideas?

Ok, fill it out like this:
Box 1: 
Code:
Liam
Emma
Noah
Olivia
Ethan
Sophia
Mason
Ava
Jacob
Isabella
Jack
Mia
Lucas
Emily
Jackson
Charlotte
Logan
Amelia
Aiden
Abigail
Benjamin
Ella
James
Madison
William
Lily
Oliver
Avery
Elijah
Chloe
Jayden
Harper
Alexander
Sofia
Box 2:
Code:
Box 3:
Code:
123 456 789 hello merry christmas
The result of the above will ALWAYS be Ava. You can verify that :)

So if I ran a promo, I would do this:
Post a list of Email Addresses and (Date/Time of order) -- This is how we know what order to list them in. (emails entered in order in box 1)

Next of course number of winners should be posted ahead of time and the same number goes in box 2.

Last you say The first paragraph of the sports section of the LA Times will be in Box 3 on the Sunday AFTER the entry period ends.

The idea is that the first paragraph of the sports section is unknown until after all the entrants are in and posted up. The sports section is verifiable by anyone by just looking at the paper.

Now you have a publicly verifiable random draw.

Best Regards,
Spork

Back